Multiple RapidBoards

Darren Martz June 12, 2012

I just created a sample project and two sample rapid boards. Both rapid boards are pointing to the same project. The idea was to simulate multiple scrum teams working on a common product.

Both boards looked at the same backlog (same project) and one started a new sprint. Much to my surprise, the other rapid board was now sharing the same sprint!!

What does a rapid board accociate its data with? A filter? A project? Itself? Now both rapid boards are saying they are in progress... on the same sprint???. Hopefully I am missing something, otherwise there can only be one rapid board per Jira server.

Each rapid board has its own filter, but the criteria is identical. Are the boards associated with a filter criteria?

Jira 5.0.4 and Greenhopper 5.10.1

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

The Rapid Board simply selects the issues that are included by the filter and works the rest out from there. In this case the issues happen to include an active Sprint so the Rapid Board displays the information about that active Sprint.

Both boards are in progress because they both include issues that are in a Sprint. A board can include issues that are in multiple Sprints in which case it will show all of those Sprints (i.e. Scrum of Scrums)

If you define filter criteria that selects different issues across the two boards they will operate completely independently.

Thanks,
Shaun

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2013

I had the same issue, and could not understand why on earth I got the other sprints, issues, etc. when the filter was obviously correct... until I understood that there is a difference between Quick filters and Board filter...

0 votes
Mike Krus July 31, 2012

Is it possible to have a type of sub-task in one RapidBoard/Sprint while the parent task would remain in another?

Trying to do this:

- once we're done with the work, we want to add a sub-task to indicate that documentation needs updating

- I created a new type of sub-task (Documentation)

- I created a new Rapid Board which only shows those Documenattion subtasks

- But when I create one, it automatically gets assigned to the sprint that the parent story belongs to and I could not find a way of putting just the sub-talk back into the back log

Ideally I would want documentation tasks to run in their own sprint, I presume it's because they are sub tasks, not full blown issues...

0 votes
Mike Krus July 31, 2012

Is it possible to have a type of sub-task in one RapidBoard/Sprint while the parent task would remain in another?

Trying to do this:

- once we're done with the work, we want to add a sub-task to indicate that documentation needs updating

- I created a new type of sub-task (Documentation)

- I created a new Rapid Board which only shows those Documenattion subtasks

- But when I create one, it automatically gets assigned to the sprint that the parent story belongs to and I could not find a way of putting just the sub-talk back into the back log

Ideally I would want documentation tasks to run in their own sprint, I presume it's because they are sub tasks, not full blown issues...

Or any advice on how to handle this kind of thing?

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 1, 2012

You can't have a subtask in a sprint without it's parent story.

I'd suggest just creating a separate story for the documentation and linking it to the feature story.

Thanks,
Shaun

Suggest an answer