Multiple Boards and Multiple Backlogs With JIRA Agile

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

I have 2 teams working from 2 different filter/backlogs. My issue is with the sub-task. I have created the boards off of filters using the epic link field including in one and excluding for the second board, but project 1 is getting sub tasks from project 2 showing up on that board (and the parent) because the sub task does not have an epic link field. Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

Hi James -

Can you clarify a bit? Are you using the new rapid boards or the classic boards? In rapid boards, sub-tasks don't show up in Plan mode - just Work mode. Generally your issue type hierarchy goes:

Epic -> Story -> Sub-Task

Also, could you post the filters that you are using?

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2014

Hi John - We are using the new boards. Here are the filters I am using for the boards

"Epic Link" = VO-700 for board 1

project in (list of projects) AND type != Test AND ("Epic Link" is EMPTY OR "Epic Link" != VO-700) for board 2

Yea the sub-tasks only show up on the board and not in planning mode, but my issue is that a story for board 2 (epic link = 700) has a sub-task showing up on board 1

I realize that the sub-task issue type does not have an epic link and figure this is why it is not being excluded from board 1.

John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2014

Where you say "a story for board 2 (epic link = 700) has a sub-task showing up on board 1" don't you mean epic link != 700?

So basically first board = stories related to one epic (VO-700), which I guess is pretty big if it has a team allocated :-)

Second board = everything else not related to VO-700.

Right? What is the epic link for the story that's the parent of this rogue task?

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2014

That is correct, !=700. The other board we want to include everything else not in that epic.

Suggest an answer