Multiple Boards (3) One Project - Each board to have their own sprint and burndown

Chase Rodgers February 24, 2021

Hi All,

Thank you for taking your time in helping me with my question. What I'm hoping to solve, I have three Boards, one for each team. I have one backlog that each team pulls work from. I would like to set up each board with their own sprint which would have their own burn down chart. I'm working with the Admin to solve this but we haven’t been able to keep one board's sprint work off the other? Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Hello @Chase Rodgers 

Welcome to the community.

A sprint will display on a board if

1. It was created from that board
  2. it contains issues that are within the scope of the board's filter.

So, if your 3 boards all have the same filter, then after adding issues to the sprints, the sprints will show up on all the boards.

You could perhaps mitigate this by assigning a Label or a Component (or using another custom field) to each issue, where that value that is specific to the team which is adding the issue to their sprint, and then add that as an exclusion criteria on the board filters.

and (Component is not empty and component not in (....))

All the issues would show in all backlogs until the Label or Component or custom field value was added, and then the issue would be excluded from the display of other boards. If the issue is not within scope of the board filter, then its associated sprint will not show on the board.

Another option would be to modify the board filters to exclude issues where 

(sprint is not empty and sprint not in (<sprints for other boards>))

...but that would require constant maintenance to keep updating the list of sprints for the "sprint not in ()" portion of the filter.

Chase Rodgers February 25, 2021

Hey Trudy, thank you for your reply, that helped us a lot! This gave us a few ideas, we are going to start off trying Labels and see how that fits and go from there. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2021

You're welcome.

I did see that I had an error in the update for the filter, though, and you can do it a couple of different ways.

First, you want to include the issues where the field is empty, as that would be the default state for the field:

... and (<field> IS empty ...)

Second, you can either include the issues where the field is set to the value specific to the team's board:

... and (<field> IS empty OR <field> is in (<this team's value(s) for that field>))

Or, you can write the filter to exclude the issues with values that belong to the other teams:

... and (<field> IS empty OR <field> is not in (<other teams' value(s) for that field>))

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events