Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Moving tickets from one project to another without losing it in the original project

Hi,

We're setting up different projects for each team. Every ticket created will move through a workflow within its project being handed off to the next team, who will create a new ticket in their project and work on it. I wanted to know if there is a way to move tickets from one company-managed Jira project to another, without losing that ticket in the original project? In essence, a copy of the original ticket must be moved to the new project and it must adopt the new project's tag. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 answers

2 votes

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

An issue can only be in one project at a time.  If you move an issue to another project, it can't be in both projects at the same time.

You can clone an issue though, then move the new version to the other project.  The clone process links the two issues together as well, so you can see where the new one came from.

Bear in mind that if the two projects are configured differently, you may lose data on the issue you move.

0 votes

Welcome to the community, @Madhu.Rathnasekar.

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

With our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira, you can clone and move tickets between all project types.

• Simply select the issue you want to clone
  • Define the target project and issue type
  • Configure which fields you want to clone

If you clone on a regular basis, you can create presets for recurring cloning actions.

If you want to clone several issues at once, you can use the Bulk Clone feature.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

5,074 views 18 32
Read article

Atlassian Community Events