Moving Issues between swimlanes (assignee)

Guido Grune December 12, 2012

Hello,

we have configured our boards to show swimlanes based on assignees. Our users try to drag and drop issues to assign a different user but this doesn't work (daily standup).

The only thing that I could do was configure the workflow to auto assign on "start in progress". But this assigns the currently logged in user.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-3736?focusedCommentId=338735&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-338735

Is there a way to update issues while drag and drop between swimlanes?

Guido

9 answers

7 votes
Jeremiah Small October 31, 2013

I'd also like to be able to drag cards between assignee swimlanes and have it reassign them.

2 votes
vidoq December 10, 2018

hm..no progress on this feature?

Our team need it too!

Alex Oh January 17, 2019

nothing for 6 years.. we need it as well

Daniel Anderson March 26, 2019

Yep, I was looking for how to implement it.

2 votes
Dale Strickler May 13, 2015

@John garcwell, "that's not what they're for." I so much disagree.  The greatest systems I have ever used have smart views.  If you move something from one view to another it adjusts what it needs to make the item visible in the view you move it to.  Smart views I miss so much!  A smart view should also auto populate a new issues with on the values that would make it appear on the board that is active when the create is clicked.  It is such a pain if you are created multiple items as you look at one board.  And you have to keep setting the same things over and over so the new items are correctly configured for you view.

2 votes
sarah Thompson January 23, 2014

I have the same question. It seems like it "should" work.

2 votes
Tohnmeister January 21, 2014

Agree. Just trying Jira Agile for the first time, and this is the very first thing that I noticed. When being used to paper boards or other tools, it feels a bit strange to change an assignee other than by changing swimlane.

1 vote
John Postlethwait February 21, 2014

I think triggering assignment to the user moving it would be a useful option as well.

1 vote
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

At our standups, it works really well to use the A hotkey to invoke the Assign dialog, and then quickly type in the username. We find that it's faster than using the mouse would be.

Guido Grune December 12, 2012

Hi John,

thx for your answer. But pressing a + type name + drag and drop issue to "In Progress" isn't as fast as drag and drop issue to "user swimlane" in "In Progress".

It looks like a feature request for greenhopper.

Guido

John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

We don't put issues in progress at the Standup, that is done by the individual engineer when he/she actually commences work, so we don't have that concern. However, if you had an Assign and Start Progress transition, you could move the ticket to In Progress and have a pop-up come up to accept the assignee name.

0 votes
Joe Red April 5, 2020

Please tell me this is an implemented feature and I just can't find it?

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2014

If you want the issue to be auto-assigned when a user transitions it, that's just as easy as putting in the appropriate Post Function. If you want to drag between swimlanes to set assignee, well, that's not what they're for. It's quicker and easier to use the 'a' hotkey for assign and quickly type in a name.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2016

When multiple customers suggest a feature that is commonly expected, shouldn't that determine "what they're for"?

Like # people like this
epataky January 18, 2017

seriously .. there is no reason this should not be allowed ... in my case i have swimlanes based on EPIC .. how hard is it to change the EPIC field when i drag it to another swimlane? ... please do this asap

Like kevin_kessler likes this
Patrick Tucker October 16, 2017

I'm relatively new to JIRA, but the place where it suffers the most is being "intuitive". The intuitive thing to do would be to assign to the user when an issue is dragged from unassigned to a swim lane. If this doesn't make sense to Atlassian, then that would explain why it isn't intuitive. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer