Moving Epics from Team-managed to Company-managed is Requiring Story Points and Epic Color

stephanie lollar August 24, 2021

If I manually create an Epic in the company project, story points are not required.

I am needing to move a team-managed project to this company project. Moving the issue is requiring Epic Name, Epic color, Story Points to be filled out. This means I must do each issue one at a time. 

Is this expected behavior?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2021

Hello @stephanie lollar 

Definitely the requirement for Epic Name and Epic Color are expected behavior. Those are elements that are required for the Epic issue type in Company Managed projects.

Story Points are not typically required in Epics in Company Managed projects, but I found my instance requiring the same when I tested moving an Epic from a Team Managed project to a Company Managed project.

stephanie lollar August 25, 2021

Thanks, good to know it's not just my company seeing this issue!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill and @stephanie lollar 

When you tried to move that issue, was Story Point Estimate set to a value or empty?  Perhaps that is why it tried to make Story Points required.  I wonder...

Thanks!

__Bill

stephanie lollar August 25, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy  - Nope - they are using the "original estimate field". I would expect if that is why it is requiring story points it would provide a mapping of some sort, which it does not.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Thanks, Stephanie.  Looking over the guidance on migrating data I did not see this issue:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

And I didn't see a defect/issue for this in the public backlog.

You may want to ask your site admin to submit a ticket to support to see what they say: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like stephanie lollar likes this
0 votes
Gary Baitson April 13, 2022

Did anyone find a fix for this?

coi April 15, 2022

Wondering the same thing

stephanie lollar April 15, 2022

We had to do it manually.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN