Move created issues directly to a particular board in the project.

Santhosh Kumar December 16, 2020

The current project we have contains two boards Board-A and Board-B. I have created an issue-type called 'incident' and using the Jira issue creation API, I created an issue with the 'Incident' issue-type and once the issue is created, I would like to move it to Board-B (this board must only contain issues with incident issue-type). But currently the issue is going to the backlog and I am not able to find a way to move it directly to the Board-B. Can you suggest some way to achieve this by editing the workflows or by adding automation rules. The changes that has to be done to make this work must only affect Board-B. Board-A must continue to work as is. (The change must be board specific and not project-wide)

can this be achieved? 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

John has covered the automation side of this, but I wanted to add something about the board side.

Cards do not move between boards.  A board is not a container of cards (issues), it is a view of a selection of issues.  You do not "put a card on a board", you "add or change the data on an issue so that a board selects it"

What you need to do is configure the boards differently.  Set board A to select "Issue type != Incident" and board B to have "issue type = incident".

Hi Nic,
Thanks for the quick response.

And about the question that I have posted, I added this JQL filter to filter incidents on the board but the issue/card created through the Jira API seems to be present in the backlog and not on the board so filtering the issue fetches no result.
Is it possible to move the incidents present in the backlog to the board via automation?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

The board and the backlog are not separate entities, they're entwined together and looking at the same thing. 

If an issue is in the backlog, it means you have not committed to doing any work on it.  A board shows what you have committed to working on.  The lists of things they are showing are different subsets of the list that the underlying filter is showing.

It matters what type of board we are looking with too. 

Kanban boards are simple, you start work on, or sometimes just assign an issue to a person, and the card will stop showing in the backlog and start showing on the board. 

Scrum is a bit more complex - between sprints, the backlog will show you everything, and the board will be empty.  You put a load of issues into a sprint, then start the sprint.  The issues then appear on the board.  The backlog will still show them, but highlighted as being in the current sprint.

For Kanban, your automation probably just needs to move the new issue into an "in progress" status.  Or you could turn off the backlog function, so everything automatically appears in the first column on the board.

For Scrum, you do not want to automate everything going on to the board.  It makes a nonsense of your planning and scheduling, and if you do think you want it, then you're not doing Scrum at all and really should move to a Kanban board.

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2020

Hi Santhosh - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can achieve this with an Automation For Jira rule. If you are not familiar with that tool, here is some more information:

There are two types of automation:

• Global: In the Free version, you get 100 executions per product, per month
  • Project: In all versions, you get unlimited executions per month

Automation Basics: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, go to Jira Settings > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Jira Automation Template Library to help get you started quickly:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453

In your case, you probably want a rule with an Issue Created trigger. Then add a Condition for issuetype = Incident. Finally, you can add a New Action for Transition Issue to the appropriate status you would like to transition the issue to.

Hi John,
Thanks. Glad to be a part of this community.

In the Automation rule, I am asked to select a project to which this rule can be applied. Since I have 2 boards (Board-A and Board-B) both within the same project,
Can I apply this rule to Board-B alone? From what Nic said, I understand that the board is a view and not a container of issues/cards. But please let me know if this is possible at a board level?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2020

The board simply follows a filter for should show up on the board. So you can simply use the JQL in your board filter in the rule. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events