Monitoring Multiple Next-Gen Projects

Jonathan Enns December 17, 2020

We are transitioning our project management software to Jira. We prefer the ease of use and set up of next-gen projects, but need the ability to monitor and manager multiple projects at once. 

From reading other forum and online posts, it seems this is where Classic is superior. I figured I'd ask though, before converting existing projects set up as Next-Gen. Is there a way to do this with next-gen or are their new developments, soon to be released that would make this type of functionality possible, to have the simplicity of Next-Gen, but the 10K ft. view to track multiple projects and resources more easily. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Jonathan Enns,

Glad to see you've been reading around and are quite well informed. I wouldn't expect this to change anytime soon, as the fundamentals of next gen are designed for the single project approach. Custom fields, statuses, boards, ... - everything is designed for a siloed, single project setup. Consolidating that in the 10K ft view would require really fundamental changes. And if that is what you need (like most enterprises), I think classic projects offer all you need. And yes, the setup may initially take you a bit more effort, but in my experience the power largely compensates for the initial learning curve. 

Jonathan Enns December 18, 2020

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate the insight, and it's good to know there aren't any upcoming changes. That was part of my concern, setting up all projects in classic, only to see new roll-outs shortly after, which would allow better monitoring of multiple next-gen projects.

Classic it is!

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
0 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 19, 2020

Hi Jonathan,

What do you need specifically monitor of those projects? Depending on that, you still could use next-gen projects (or not :) ) using Jira native dashboards or a third party app to create dashboards.

0 votes
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Hey @Jonathan Enns 

I'm assuming you've had a read of this article over here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/learn-the-differences-between-classic-and-next-gen-projects.

Theoretically you could have multiple next-gen projects going and monitor them (via dashboards etc) but the challenge is because they are so customisable - anything that's changed could easily break a report.

If you're looking from the sense of managing a program of work, having more control around workflows, permissions etc. Then classic is great, but definitely requires a lot more configuration.

If you're in the early stages of set up, perhaps have a next-gen and classic in parallel and see which one works better for you. Also see if both could roll up into a manageable report for monitoring? :)

Jonathan Enns December 18, 2020

Hi @Ash Pitt 

Thanks for getting back to me. I did read that article, which provided good info. I guess I was more so inquiring to see if there was a feature I wasn't seeing or upcoming changes that would allow for better monitoring of multiple next-gen projects. Thanks for the insight and helpful tips on practicing on both project types, to compare.

Like Ash Pitt likes this
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2020

You're welcome @Jonathan Enns :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events