Modify or switch the Base URL for Jira Software (self-hosted)

Milan Bajza October 9, 2017

Hello,

I would like to know, if it is possible to switch the Base URL from Jira depended on access via internally office network or externally via internet.

The access via 50MBit/s internet is quite slow and our server is a very fast workstation. At least I want a fast response in the office.

Best Regards,
Milan

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

No.  Jira runs on a single base url, you will find it has problems if you try to run it with two.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2017

Hi Milan,

The baseURL is set in JIRA and that is how it knows how to receive requests: 

The Base URL is the URL via which users access JIRA applications. The base URL must be set to the same URL by which browsers will be viewing your JIRA instance.

JIRA will automatically detect the base URL during setup, but you may need to set it manually if your site's URL changes or if you set up JIRA from a different URL to the one that will be used to access it publicly.

If you want a different URL people reach from the internal network as opposed to the external network you would setup a proxy.

Here are some resources you can use depending on the proxy you'd use:

Proxying Atlassian server applications with Apache HTTP Server (mod_proxy_http)

Running JIRA applications over SSL or HTTPS

Integrating JIRA with Nginx

If you already have a proxy setup you may want to try bypassing the proxy to see if that is causing your network connection to be slow.  Finally, I would also recommend getting with your network admin to see if they can isolate the bottleneck using Wireshark or another network analysis tool.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer