Missing Comments in Jira Software

Hi all,

We are missing some comments and i think i found them in cache\indexes\comments.

Do anyone know how to import them into Jira?

I already tried to Re-Index Jira, but this didn't work.

Best Regards,

1 answer

0 vote
Alexey Matveev Community Champion Nov 06, 2017

Maybe you are not missing them. Maybe they were secured to a group or role to which you do not belong.

Exactly my thought too.

Comments don't "go missing" unless bad things happen.  It's far more likely that you can't see them in the UI and there's nothing to "import".  (And no, "I am an admin" is irrelevant when it comes to it, admin means admin, not "I can arbitrarily see stuff that I might not want to as a user")

I pretty sure i'm missing them.

I received a notification mail which contains the comment.

When i open the link and i got forwarded to the issue, the  comment is not displayed.

Best Regards

Alexey Matveev Community Champion Nov 06, 2017

In scriptrunner console execute

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def issue = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().getIssueByCurrentKey("issuekey")

ComponentAccessor.commentManager.getComments(issue).each{ it -> log.error(it.getBody()) }

And see if your comment is there

Everytime I got this Error 

2017-11-07 10:58:45,911 WARN [common.UserScriptEndpoint]: Script console script failed: 
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultIssueManager.getEntitiesByIssueObject(DefaultIssueManager.java:410)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.RequestCachingIssueManager.getEntitiesByIssueObject(RequestCachingIssueManager.java:155)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.CommentSearchManager.getComments(CommentSearchManager.java:106)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.DefaultCommentManager.getComments(DefaultCommentManager.java:174)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.CommentManager$getComments.call(Unknown Source)
at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:3)

Best Regards

Alexey Matveev Community Champion Nov 07, 2017

In the script above change issuekey to the key of the issue for which a comment is missing. When you execute the script you will see the comment. If you see it, then you just do not have permissions to view the comment. The script above will show you all comments without paying attentions to permissions.

Hi all,

At first, thanks for the fast response.

I've got the same comments as in the ticket, but the missing one is not listed.

Any other suggestions?

Best Regards

Could it be possible the comment was posted, you received the mail, and after that the owner edited the comment and changed the visibility?

That was my first thougt too, but i checked it and the comment writer changed nothing.

Best Regards

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Mar 05, 2018 in Jira Software

Jack Graves: Real Ale enthusiast with a knack for Jira Software implementation

@Jack Graves first caught our eye with his incredible breakdown of what, in his opinion, can make or break a Jira software implementation. (Read his thoughts on this thread)! In this followup Sh...

65,674 views 4 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot