Migration to Company Managed and Sandbox

Krista Dyer August 15, 2022

Hello, 

We are looking to migrate our Team Managed tasks to a Company Managed format. We have over 150 software projects in Team Managed and are looking to reduce these down to 15-20 software projects. I am looking for best practices in migrating tasks. Do you do this all after hours? How long does it typically take? Do you recommend a slow migration? 

I appreciate all the feedback! 

I am also looking to see what people use their JIRA sandbox for? Can you implement new apps or test implementations in the sandbox? What is the best use case for the sandbox? 

Thanks, 

Krista Dyer

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

Hello @Krista Dyer 

Have you already reviewed the documentation on moving issues from Team Managed projects to Company Managed projects? If not, do review that. There are caveats to what can actually be moved, and some data will be lost when you use the Move Issue option.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Were you planning to use the Move Issue option, or were you thinking of some other migration option?

Are you trying to move issue history and attachments too?

How many issues are you moving? 

Are you going to move all the data at once, or can you move it in phases?

Are your users and Project Admins already familiar with the differences in functionality between Team and Company Managed projects? Project Admins have far less access to customize Company Managed projects so the burden will shift to your Jira Administrators. There are quite a few other functional differences to consider also.

Krista Dyer August 15, 2022

@Trudy Claspill thanks for the reply. I have reviewed this and we will be moving non experienced company managed users over from team managed. Trying to make the plan now. We have thousands of tasks to migrate over. I would like to keep as much as possible besides the items stated in the documentation that will be lost. There will be about 120 people total that we will be moving over to company. So I am just looking for best practices. Is it best to move in phases or what would you recommend. We know this is going to be a pretty big change for the company. 

Also trying to determine if premium is worth the expense and I want to see what others use their sandbox for! So if you have any input I would appreciate it.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events