• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Migration from Server to Cloud. Find the Add-ons really used. Edited

Hello,

The Atlassian guys from advocates@am.atlassian.com cannot help and suggest "to ask the online Community". That's why I am asking here.

We have a lot of licensed JIRA and Confluence Add-ons on our servers.

If we migrate to Cloud, we would like to license only those Add-ons, which our users really need and use.

Is it possible to find out the following? And if so, how?

1. Who of our users has used a JIRA or Confluence Add-on during this year.

2. Which Add-ons have not been used in this year at all.

Regards

Leo

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Community Leader Dec 10, 2020

AFAIK there is no system level tracking of usage. You would need to look at each addon and see if they have usage stats. I expect few do. Depending on the app you might be able to ferret out some data via JQL searches but that will be a stretch I suspect. 

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much!

Regards, Leo

Hi @Leo Epstein,

I'm afraid @Jack is right on this matter. I'd like to add that not all apps manipulate data - so tracking usage of those could be a question of asking users how they are using them.

Since this is about migration, there's some things you could do to narrow down on the task at hand too:

• First of all list all the apps currently installed (you probably have done so already);
  • Check which ones don't have a Cloud version available (they may pose you totally different problems)
  • For the ones remaining, check which ones do add custom fields, perform data imports, are front and center of your reporting, ... For those you will most likely be able to check fairly easily when they were last used.

Then you will probably end up with a few open mysteries. If you're not sure, ask your users about them. Getting their feedback may be really helpful in understanding what they do with them, why they are(n't) important and get their buy in if you were to decide to kick some stuff out. Or improve in other areas ...

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your quick and kind reply.

Do you know or can you imagine, why the "Customer Advocates" and "Senior Customer Advocates" and "Cloud Migrations Managers" from Atlassian could not give any answer to these two easy questions and just suggested "to ask the online Community"?

Regards, Leo

Hi @Leo Epstein,

Like most of us here on the Community, I am not working for Atlassian, but with Atlassian. So allow me not to speak on behalf of Atlassian with regards to the matter.

At the same time - when speaking about Apps you are referring to a huge ecosystem. The Atlassian Marketplace is host to several thousands of different apps built by several hundreds of different companies. Here, on the Community platform you'll see many people who actually use all these products together or like myself implement them for other customers as well. There's a good chance you'll find many people out here with lots more experience with Atlassian products and Marketplace apps combined that Atlassian itself.

So - looking at it through the glass that's half full - it's rather a matter of pointing you towards the best chance of a valuable answer. In my view, pointing you towards the Community is way better than leaving you out there with a simple "we don't know".  

So we all try our best to fill in gaps that may exist here and there. I know that usually goes quite fast as well. And I hope you've had some helpful input as well :-)

kr,

Walter

0 votes

My instinct is to explain @Jack 's answer with a bit more tech detail, as well as echo @Walter Buggenhout _ACA IT_ 's suggestion that you will probably want to look at each app separately.

The problem here is actually that apps have a lot of flexibility and power.  This is a good thing on the most part, because it means apps can be built to do some really useful things, but a consequence is that there are a lot of very different entry points to them.

To track usage, you need to identify and log the usage of the entry points.  But every one of those is unique to the app in use, although some can be grouped (for example, many apps provide workflow functions - same entry point for each type of function).

But a lot of apps provide many functions and in different ways, and it's easy to build one that is very hard to track usage of.

One example would be an app I wrote for a client which I know I could track - it had a bundle of project reports, field types and workflow functions.  To track

• workflow functions - I'd search the workflow xml for my app's class name
  • reports - I'd have to parse the server logs for people hitting the urls
  • field types - I'd need to read the list of custom fields and check if any of them are of a type I'd written for

And then you'd need to cross-reference that with at least project config, but maybe also activity.

So, from three relatively simple additions to Jira, you can see there are already three totally different and potentially complex ways to identify usage.   There are actually hundreds, each of which would need its own dedicated code to id...

Hi @Leo Epstein ,

when you're interested in the usage of 3rd party apps within your workflows, I'd like to recommend Admin Toolbox for Jira (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214246/admin-toolbox-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview) and it's built-in workflow report (https://apps.decadis.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=13076594) - besides many other useful features for administrators. However, this 'only' helps for workflow-related apps that provide additional conditions, validators, and post functions.

Disclaimer: I'm part of the team behind the aforementioned app.

Cheers
Thorsten

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

1,236 views 18 23
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you