Migration from Redmine to JIRA OnDemand

Jeong Kim March 24, 2014

Hi, We are evaluating JIRA OnDemand and want to migrate our existing issues from our own Redmine installation.

As you suggested in another thread, I checked that I could download http://our.redmine.server/users.jsonsuccessfully with the same user id and password I entered on your 'Import From Redmine' page but I get the following error.

Cannot login to Redmine site: Forbidden. Please check the user has proper permissions.

Also we cannot find any access from you in our redmine log.

Thanks,

Jeong

3 answers

1 vote
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2014

Hi Jeong,

It looks probably some kind of a network issue. Currently I have two ideas about what's happening:

• Your Redmine Server is not accessible on 80 / 443 port - our OnDemand instances have proxy configured to allow only connections on default ports.
  • Your Redmine Instance is not public (world-wide public) and / or it's behind some Proxy server which OnDemand server is not aware of.

If you would like to investigate it further you can try to set-up your own local JIRA istance and enable Redmine logging. In System -> Logging and Profiling settings, add DEBUG logging level to: "com.taskadapter" and retry the import. Now you should see all HTTP requests/responses that are done by the importer in the JIRA logs.

If you cannot see anything suspicious in the logs (or you cannot access them) or you simply can't try it. Please open a Support request under JIM project: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM, I would be happy to investiagate your problem and help with any import-export issues.

Jeong Kim March 25, 2014

Hi Przemyslaw,

We changed our redmine port to 80 and are having another error message as follows. For your information, we are running Redmine 2.5.0.stable.12958.

Cannot login to Redmine site: org.json.JSONException: A JSONObject text must begin with '{' at character 1

Thanks!

Jeong

pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

Hi,

Does this message appers int the first (Setup) page of the importer? Our Importer is always trying to interpret the the servers' response as a JSON Object. If for some reason your server is not returning JSON file, but e.g. HTTP error page then Importer shows the exact same error as you have described. In other words: Your Redmine server is still not accessible for our OnDemand instances, your Redmine server probably returns a HTTP error page (e.g. 403)

To know what HTTP error your server is returning you need to setup your own local JIRA and add "com.taskadapter" logging level (as described in my previous answer). Or create a Support Request under JIM project, but I would need a temporary admin account to investigate your problem.

We are aware that throwing "JSONExcpetion" for connection problems i pretty bad - we have a reported bug for that, which we would like to fix in the next Redmine release: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM-1141

0 votes
Justin Freeman February 11, 2017
0 votes
Sven [Dione Technology]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2014

Hi Jeong,

A network issue.

Plan B :

Did you consider to export to a csv and re import it in JIRA OnDemand ?

Regards.

Sven.

Jeong Kim March 25, 2014

Hi Sven,

I am afraid that we will manually upload all previously attached files from Redmine to JIRA when I use CSV import/export.

Thanks,

Jeong

Suggest an answer