Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Migrating issues from BitBucket to JIRA loses images Edited

Many of the issues I work with have images (screenshots) embedded within them (markdown link to private storage associated with BitBucket cloud). When these issues were migrated to JIRA and the original issue tracker disabled, these images are no longer available. I don't want to go through all the issues, fish out the original images, and re-attach them to JIRA. Could someone at Atlassian please fix this so that future migrators do not have to grieve this loss?

Closest thing (though admittedly not that close) I could find in the issue trackers was BCLOUD-17295

Mini-Rant: Given that data is going from a simpler system to a richer one, both developed and operated by the same company, I think the tool for migrating BitBucket issues to JIRA issues should be smoother than it is. This is especially true since Atlassian has effectively been advertising for JIRA inside of BitBucket and encouraging users to migrate.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Jacob,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local Bitbucket and Jira, when migrating issues that contain images on the description, in Jira it will show as a link, not sure if it’s the same behavior you are experiencing.

If there are attachments to the issue in Bitbucket and the Repository and Issue tracker is public, the attachments are migrated correctly, but the images embedded in the description are not.

Based on that, I created a bug for our dev team to check:

Please, click on “This affects my team” and also watch to receive updates.

If you are experiencing a different issue, feel free to share the details so we can test it here. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

In your testing did you try disabling the old/classic BitBucket issue tracker? We do not want to manage duplicate data (by using 2 systems for the same thing), so if we're going to migrate to JIRA Issues we'll want to turn off the BitBucket issue tracker.

Hi Jacob,

I did disabled the issue tracker after the migration. By editing the URL of the image that is added to the description, it was still available after the issue tracker was disabled.

The images won’t appear as a thumbnail, but by editing the URL by removing the extra “)” at the end, the image should load on a new tab. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.59.39.png

So, if I have this straight, this is a feature and it works like this: migrating BitBucket issues to JIRA automatically removes thumbnails / breaks Markdown parsing. If someone wants the old/legacy behavior of being able to see images and click URLs they need to either switch back or manually edit the migrated content. Do I have that about right? 

FWIW, I was able to confirm @Angélica Luz's findings: that the images were still accessible despite the URLs not being correctly parsed by the issue editor/viewer. So thank you for that. That's pretty small comfort though....it doesn't even seem like there is GFM editor in JIRA issues... After a week of frustration and disappointment I am ready to go back to BitBucket issues and get real work done again. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

🏊‍♀️ Atlympic Event: Trello

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

81 views 0 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you