Migrating a Site from one Organization to a New Organization

Shane O. December 21, 2020

First, some context:

• ParentCompany has one organization with one site, but other users managed outside the "site"
  • ParentCompany decides to sell off a division that maps 1:1 with the users defined in the site
  • The sold division becomes NewCompany and creates a new Atlassian organization and goes through the steps of "Transferring Products" in hopes of transferring the complete "site" to NewCompany's organization
  • NewCompany verifies its domain in the new organization and claims all users
  • PROBLEM:  NewCompany can't move the "site" to the new organization because the "Transfer Process" transfers EVERYTHING and we're concerned it will impact the users left behind in ParentCompany's account

We are using Jira Software Core, Confluence, and Atlassian Access.

I seem to remember some guidance from somewhere about having to backup the site from one side and restore it to the other, but I can't find that again to save my life.

Any thoughts/help?

Thanks -

Shane O.

1 answer

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2020

Hi @Shane O. 

Welcome to Community! When you transfer an Organizations, you're basically moving Application controls over to one centralised Hub. You do not move data or any user information on the background. When that happens, you are basically saying, I have two Instances A and B, I want B to be moved to A and I want A to be able to control the users, applications and other user functions that exist on B. This is mostly done on the centralised hub in https://admin.atlassian.com - which should reflect the org you have once authenticated.

So to answer your question, Transfer everything means- Atlassian will transfer, Application and user controls to the Organization that's chosen. please remember that once a transfer starts, it is not reversible. Please be certain that you've made the choice before initialisation. Hope this clears things up.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events