Migrate to JIRA Cloud from JIRA On Prem excluding custom fields

Grant Gochnauer May 28, 2021

Hello - 

We are looking to move to JIRA Cloud from JIRA On Prem. 

We have been using JIRA On Premise for over 10 years and in that time we've created 100s of custom fields, screens, schemes, etc however most of the projects we have there are no longer relevant or required. 

I want to be able to move over just the projets I'd like but exclude all the global configurations that aren't referenced by that project - for example custom fields and status. However even if that project does not use any of those fields or status, the cloud migrate tool will still copy them. 

My goal is to leave behind 10+ years of organic use of JIRA and start clean but still carry over critical project information including attachments, etc. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2021

Hi @Grant Gochnauer 

In general, I would advise using the Server to Cloud migration guide to help plan your migration.

There's a few different cloud migration methods, but in lots of instances, it might make sense to clean-up your existing environment before making the move. See Clean up your Server instance before migration.

Also, the above page also details that using the Cloud Migration Assistant can be a good option:

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant does not migrate all the configurations from your Jira server instance to the cloud. It performs an analysis of what’s needed for the projects you have selected, and only migrates the necessary for those projects to continue working in the cloud. This means that any unmapped or unused configurations like workflow schemes, permissions schemes, custom fields that are not used by the selected projects are not migrated to the cloud. See what gets migrated with the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant

Ste

Grant Gochnauer May 31, 2021

Suggest an answer