Migrate "update date" field to a new custome field close date

Laura Vallejo May 7, 2021

I need to keep the date when an issue is transitioned to close in Jira. The problem is that although an issue is closed in Jira, sometimes some updates are done, and this date changes. For this reason a new field has been added called closed date.

But now, it is necessary to migrate the information between update date and closed date in the case of issues with status closed.

Is there any way to move the information between these fields?

Thank you very much for your help!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

There's no function for moving or copying one custom field to another in Jira beyond the manual editing, bulk-editing or using an automation (which would require you to update every issue to trigger it).

I would be looking to a scripted solution for this - an external script that can read the issues and update them over REST, or a scripting app where you can write and execute code internally.

If you chose Scriptrunner, then https://library.adaptavist.com/entity/copy-field-value-from-linked-issue does a lot of what you'd want, to save you having to write the code from scratch.  (Yes, that is an advert for my company's app, but it is one of the things SR was written to help with)

Suggest an answer