Migrate Trello checklists to Jira Board not working

cwente November 18, 2019

I recently tried to migrate our trello boards to Jira using the integrated importer
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-trello-951386555.html

However while reviewing the newly populated board I noticed that the checklists from the trello cards were missing in all jira tasks. Is this a feature I forgot to enable or a bug?
Couldn't find anything related in the documentation.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2019

Hello @cwente

Thank you for reaching out.

As you can see in the official documentation below, Trello checklists are not imported to JIRA Software projects when using the inbuilt import client:

Importing data from Trello 

If you DO have access to Jira Software: Any checklists created in Trello won't be imported.

This is not a bug, but a behavior from the JIRA application. We have a feature request to improve this feature:

As a Jira administrator, I want to select a classic project as destination when using Trello import out of the box 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

A possible workaround would be:

1 - Create a new dummy user in your JIRA to perform the import

2 - remove the JIRA software product access from the user, so he will only be able to access business projects (JIRA Core)

3 - Create a new business project and import the Trello board

4 - Delete the user and migrate the business issues created to a software project if you want

Also, another workaround would be to use the Smart Checklist Exporter to import your Trello Checklists.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer