Migrate Linux/Postgress Jira to WIndows/ SQL server

Serge Calderara March 6, 2024

Dear all,

I have an old Jira core version 7.2 (server) that need to be upgraded to Jira 9.12 (DC).

The initial source application is as follow :

• Host : Linux
  • DB: Postrgess 7.3
  • Jira core 7.2

The migration objective would be to go to the following environment :

• Host : Windows
  • DB: Sql Server 2019
  • JIra 9.12.2

I am used to migrate or upgrade jira on same environment. We have a working process for that. But in that case I have few important question :

Q1 :
Does the backup system (XML) on Jira Core 7.2 ( linux) can be safely restore on Jira 9.12 (WIndows)

Q2 :
How the Jira Home folder ( Linux) can be copied over on new Jira (WIndows) ?

Thanks for help on this clarification

regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

Hi @Serge Calderara ,

Atlassian application are platform indipendent so you can migrate/upgrade Jira in one shot.

Q1 : Yes, the backup xml is not dependent from OS

Q2 : Please take a look here https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-938846962.html

Because of a change on JIRA reindex policy, please take care of the following :

Add the JVM flags to bypass the automatic full reindex

Jira 8 allowed startup without an index with the jira-config.properties entry of "upgrade.reindex.allowed=false".

In Jira 9 this config only works for the first-ever startup — the one that's running (or had run) the DB update tasks. If the node's restarted (for whatever reason), Jira 9 will understand it's no longer an "upgrade startup" and will enforce a full reindex upon startup. This has been raised up through:

JRASERVER-74882 - Restarting Jira 9 after upgrading from Jira 8 triggers a full reindex regardless of Reindex configs CLOSED

To guarantee Jira 9 won't kick-off a full reindex not even in subsequent restarts during the upgrade maintenance window, add these two Opts to the JVM startup params prior to starting Jira 9 for the first time:

-Dcom.atlassian.jira.startup.allow.full.reindex=false 
-Dcom.atlassian.jira.startup.rebuild.local.index=false

You may add them to the JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS in the setenv.sh/bat file (appended to other parameters you may have there, separated by space characters):

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Dcom.atlassian.jira.startup.allow.full.reindex=false -Dcom.atlassian.jira.startup.rebuild.local.index=false"

And add this to the jira-config.properties file (you may need to create the file if it doesn't exist — see Advanced Jira application configuration):

upgrade.reindex.allowed=false

Please refer to the article on Setting properties and options on startup for an overview on setting JVM flags.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Serge Calderara March 6, 2024

@Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ , thanks for your reply

You did not undertand the meaning of my Q1 relative to backup / restore XML

What I mean in my Q1 question is the folowing :

1 - The backup System will be run on a Jira Core 7.2

2 - The Restore System will be run on Jira 9.12

I have read somewhere that backup/restore XML can be done only if the operation of Backup and Restore are done from a same Jira version

Is it the case or will it work in my case on restore operation ?

Regarding the backup on Home folder :

If my initial Home folder is linux based file system, how can you copy it to be compatible with a WIndows file system directory ?

regards

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

Hello @Serge Calderara ,

Q1 : you can perform a xml on 7.2 and restore it on JIRA 9.12 (this is a normal approach for upgrade process).

Q2 : Data can be included in the xml backup. If you want to migrate by hand, attachments are file not depending from OS so you can backup them in linux and move to the new location of your Windows server.

Suggest an answer