Migrate Jira server external and internal users to Jira cloud internal users?

Tom Celuszak March 3, 2021

We plan to migrate on-prem Jira server to cloud. All or just a project; either works.  In Jira server, we use both external directory for most users and internal Jira directory for some users. I would like to migrate all users, regardless of directory affiliation on the server, to Jira cloud internal directory. 

Can this be done without having to clone external directory users as internal directory users on the server?

I had been planning to use the import from backup method because our on-prem Jira server is inaccessible from the internet, and it's some time and effort to change this.

I am already "tweaking" the backup XML for import from backup method, but of course the external directory users cause this to fail. I can see the directory ids being used. The internal directory users have an additional externalId, compared to external directory users. Can this externalId be calculated/hashed for each now external directory user and added in the entities.xml file when I change their directoryId to read "internal" (1, vs 10000 for external)?

1 answer

0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Hi @Tom Celuszak , 

Have you tried using the Jira Cloud migration assistant ? I've had a look and it's migrating users, so it could be a good option for you : https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/what-gets-migrated-with-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant/

It does say on this page that users are migrated : 

Users and groups from active directories

• Jira Core and Jira Software users, and Jira Service Management agents

• Deleted users from server are migrated as “Former user”. Only deleted users connected to the projects being migrated will be created in cloud.

• All groups in active directories

• Users managed by external directories.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Tom Celuszak March 4, 2021

Migration assistant requires the on-prem Jira server be accessible from the internet. That is not currently the case, and is a non-trivial task to change, so the assistant is a non-starter. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events