Mass Update Project Permissions

Daniel January 15, 2018

Is there a way to mass update Permissions?

We have now > 50 projects which are accessible to our accounts.

Now we have created our first client project and want to invite him to jira, but allow him to see only this one project.
I have invited now myself with an alternative email address to the project and assigned the "clientgroup1" group to this member.

Unfortunately he still sees ALL projects and I have no Idea how to change this.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2018

I'm afraid mass-updates are not a native function.  You'll need something like Script Runner to make bulk permission changes.

You have started on the right path to fix "limit user to a few projects", but I'm afraid Jira's defaults conspire against you.

You need to go over every permission scheme, checking who matches the rule for "Browse project".  The default here will usually be something like "role: users"  There is no problem with using the role.  But if it's been changed to "group: x" or other things, you'll need to think through the impact.

The problem is not usually the defaults in the permission scheme though.  It is usually the default role membership.  Jira ships with groups such as "jira users" and "jira software users", and these are used in two ways

• To say "a person in this group can log in"
  • In the default role of users

So, for every project created, the "can log in" group gets added to a role which allows them to see the project.  This is what you need to un-pick.

Where-ever the "can log in" group has been used in roles or permission schemes, you need to remove it, and replace it with an appropriate set of users or groups who should have access.  Also, remove it from the default role.

Then, you can add your single user to the "can log in" group, and the single project they should see, and they'll only be able to see that project.

0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2018

Hi Daniel!

Into permission schema this is a permission for browse project and issues into it. Make sure, that it is set properly.

You also could use sequrity schemas for this.

Best regards,

Vailiy.

Suggest an answer