Marketplace Pricing - Monthly vs. Annual

Albert Bétit May 26, 2022

Why does annual pricing cost more than the monthly price added up for one year? This is in the Marketplace pricing calculator.  It would seem the cost should be less or the same for annual.  I have noticed this on multiple add-ons.

2 answers

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

It could be because of the licence tier.

At least with Atlassian products you can choose a granular user number when paying monthly while when you switch to annual it will go in to the tier system (25-50-100-... )

When choosing monthly did you specify the maximum of a tier or a different number?

Albert Bétit May 27, 2022

This has happened for every add-on I have looked at.  You can use this for an example:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221150/?tab=pricing&hosting=cloud

I am using 130 for number of users.  The monthly shows 146 = Annual 1752, while annual shows 1,950.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2022

Hi Albert,

That is very strange. Usually, the Annual cost is about 10 monthly costs. Can you share an example? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

That's because the monthly is using a per user amount per month and the annual is using a tier. In this case the 100-200 user tier. As you increase in users closer to the 200 count, at some point the annual becomes less expensive. 

Albert Bétit May 27, 2022

That makes sense, but if I were selling my wares on their marketplace I would not be happy with that calculator.  It has a simple toggle between month and annual, and explains little to the user.

Like # people like this
Daniel Lowe October 31, 2023

Break even for atlasian pricing seems to be at 2/3 of each tier i.e 200 tier annual license is cheaper than monthly if you have 167 users or more. if you have 166 users or less monthly is cheaper, this seems to apply to all their products and plugins

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events