Marketplace Application for Gantt Charts?

Silvesta Ng December 10, 2020

Hi.

I am looking for project planning tool similar to MS Project that would be more automated with integration into Jira.

Functionality such as:

• Planning out a project, based on story points (converted to days through a factor) and resource assignments. It would automatically schedule out the work based on these 2 factors with a start date.
  • When a Jira is change to "In Progress", it automatically updates the start date in the chart and also when the Jira is completed. It would then automatically shift work accordingly with that new information.

Is this possible with any applications? Or is manual entry to MS Project the only way to do this?

Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Jamie Long December 10, 2020

Another option is BigPicture which is an alternative to Advanced Roadmaps. Both tools offer similar functionality and add another layer to Jira which is more like MS Project.

Big Picture

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212259/bigpicture-project-management-ppm?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Advanced Roadmaps

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212136/advanced-roadmaps-formerly-portfolio?hosting=server&tab=overview

One other consideration as you look through the links above or other potential plug-ins.  Check each within the Atlassian Marketplace to make sure they are compatible with your version of Jira.  There is a dropdown list for each marketplace entry that shows if it's compatible with Cloud, Server, or Data Center versions.  Not all plug-ins work across all environments, which may be another factor in your decision.

Silvesta Ng December 11, 2020

I find BigPicture a bit too complex. Also we are using Jira Cloud so doesn't look like Advanced Roadmaps is available for us.

Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2020

It's available on Cloud, I use it to manage Programs. You need to upgrade Jira to premium though. https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/premium

Silvesta Ng December 11, 2020

Guess there's not way to upgrade to Premium for a trial period when we already have a Standard site?

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2020

Hello @Silvesta Ng

Taking into account your requirements, BigPicture seems to be a good match for your needs. The Resources module provides essential information to manage resources both at project and portfolio levels but also can give an insight into resource utilization during a sprint.

You can plan resources workload using both man-days (hours) and story points (you can convert them according to defined by you ratio).

image (49).png

Using different effort modes, you can analyze resource consumption, currently utilized resources as well as the forecasted availability. Please let me know if you have more specific questions.

Regarding your second question, you can use custom Jira post functions to update an issue's fields based on a trigger. To edit post functions, please open your workflow and find the required transition. Then go to the post function tab and push the add post-function button.

image (50).png

Best,

Anna

0 votes
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Hi Silvesta,

It sounds like Advanced Roadmaps for Jira is just what you're looking for. It allows you to manage work at a higher level than project. It works best if your teams are already using Jira but is powerful as it works directly from the boards, filters and projects your teams already use.

It's available through premium subscription to Jira but definitely worth checking out!

Silvesta Ng December 13, 2020

I signed up for the Premium trial.

As far as I can tell when using Advanced Roadmaps if you try to auto-schedule, it doesn't take into account any estimates or assigned resources to set dates and level things out. It's still a very manual process. At least for Structure it will take Story Points and be able to convert to number of days of work. Also their UI is pretty easy to use with drag and drop.

Premium Jira is double the cost so quite a big jump just to use Advanced Roadmaps.

Thanks.

0 votes
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2020

I've tried Structure but as far as I can tell you need to manually enter in dates and it won't automatically schedule based on resource dependency. The only benefit I see to using this versus MS Project is that you don't need to manually enter in issues to start with.

I was trying to avoid trialing every application out there but I will take a closer look.

Taking a closer look at Structure and it's many options.

Looks like it will automatically add start and end dates based on status change and progress so that's a good start. Checking now to see if it will automatically level resource dependencies.

Structure is close but does not level resources appropriately. Unstarted tasks end up just having a start date of the project start date.

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 10, 2020

Hello Silvesta,

David from ALM Works here.

Thank you for considering our products in your evaluation!! 

If you have questions about Structure or Structure.Gantt, we would love to hear from you!  We can discuss your requirements in more detail, identify where we align, and review our roadmap.  Feel free to drop us a note at support@almworks.com. 

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best in your search for a product that meets your needs!

Best,
David

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events