Make a filter based on Jira Teams

Jason Yeh September 12, 2022

I want to add an issue's field for "Teams" to my tickets, then have a board filtered based on their Jira Team.

Unable to find a good way to associate the Jira "Teams" to an issue field.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hello @Jason Yeh 

Welcome to the community.

Are you talking about the Teams that you can define under the People menu at the top of the screen?

Are you working with issues in a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

For Company Managed projects there is already a custom field named "Team" that links to that data. You just need to add that field to your Field Configurations (if not already there) and your issue screens.

Jason Yeh September 13, 2022

Hi Trudy,

Ya i'm talking about the `Teams` that you can define under the People menu. I created a Team there but don't see it when i add the custom field Team.

I am using a Company Managed Project. 

I see the custom field, (we actually have 2? one is marked deprecated) but neither of them show the Team i created under the People menu.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

I sincerely apologize. I gave you incorrect information.

The Teams field that appears in the Custom Fields list (and is LOCKED) is strictly for use in Roadmaps. It does not relate to the Teams that you can create under the People menu.

It appears that it is not currently possible to link those Teams you create in the People menu directly to a field in Jira.

You would need to create a separate custom selection field that includes a list of Team Names for specifying the Team associated with a Jira issue. Alternately, you can create a User Group for each team (through User Management) and add the people to those User Groups. Then you could use those groups to filter against User Picker fields like

assignee in membersOf("Team1")

You could optionally add a Group Picker custom field and allow associating a User Group with a Jira issue, but that would allow selecting from all User Groups rather than just the "team" User Groups.

Related to this topic I found the following:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-79283

https://support.atlassian.com/atlassian-account/docs/what-is-an-atlassian-team/

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Jira-Cloud-Team-field-is-blank/qaq-p/1770558

Jason Yeh September 21, 2022

icic, i think i might need to find a different solution then. Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events