Make Custom field Mandatory in 1 project only

Joao Borges November 23, 2020

Hi there

I am trying to make a mandatory custom field in only 1 project called DEVELOPMENT

Custom field is created and assigned to PROJECT DEVELOPMENT already. I am able to see this field while I am creating a new ticket

How could make this field mandatory ?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2020

Hi @Joao Borges,

You can do this in a couple of ways. If your project is using its own workflows (i.e. not shared with other projects), you could use a Fields Required validator to the create transition of the workflow associated with the issue type you are creating.

You can find out what workflow is behind your issues through Project Settings > Workflows.

When you edit that workflow:

1. Select the transition to the first status in your workflow
  2. Select Validators
  3. Click Add validator
  4. Select Fields Required Validator and select the Team field as your required field
  5. Publish the updated workflow

Or another option would be through the Field Configuration of your project. For that purpose, you would probably need to create a new field configuration and field configuration scheme, make sure that you make the field required in the new configuration and associate it with just your one project.

For more details on how to configure field configuration, see support documentation 

Though both options work, it depends a bit on your situation what comes out best for you. Field configuration would apply to your entire project. So if you have multiple issue types and only some of them need the field to be required, go with the workflow solution. If the field is required for all issues and you have e.g. 7 workflows in your project, the field configuration may work better.

Joao Borges November 24, 2020

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout  - I went with the first option by adding a validator, much easier than the 2nd option

S January 13, 2021

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout would any of the above mentioned options mess up worklog history or statuses?

I have been trying out field config and found that if its not on create screen it won't work as effectively. for e.g. A CreatedDate field if mapped to a schema and is not on the create screen you and eaisly push to to different stages of WF. But once you enter a value then you cannot make it empty. Alert message shows up saying its manadatory.

Is there a workaround for this senario?

1 vote
Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2020

Hi @Joao Borges 

In addition to Walter's excellent response, there is another option to use a marketplace app like ProForma Lite (free up to 3 forms) where you can configure fields very quickly on a form instead.  You configure on the form page by just ticking a box on the field question along with other field design options like min/ max word count, regex etc.

It depends on your use case but if you have a requirement for say a lot data capture, then can also be an option.  I thought I would flag so that you have a couple of good options.

This is an example of how it could work...

compulsory field.jpeg
To be upfront, I am from the ProForma team just to be transparent but I thought this may be helpful.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events