Maintain relative 'priority' of tickets across multiple plans

Michael Clausen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Hi, 

I have created multiple plans to represent work my different teams need to do. The PM team will create a ticket for a feature, and typically 1-7 teams will need to implement their feature. Each team is a different category of tool. They all do the same thing but in different categories, so each team must implement the one feature.

The teams are sized differently, and there is some nuance in what is important in each 'category' So they get to things at different times and the priority of each feature is different, to a degree. 

So I have created Plans for each team, with roughly the same tickets in each Plans. However, I can not fix the priority relative to the plan itself, rather, when the 'rank' or priority of one ticket changes in one plan, that priority is propagated to the other plans in an opaque way. So I can never get the priority in the right order. 

An example

Plan 1 should have ticket A, ticket B, and ticket C, stack ranked in the same way.

Plan 2 should have ticket B, ticket A, and ticket C stack ranked thusly, because of some special nuance of that teams category.

I can not fix ticket B to rank 1 in plan 2, because Plan 1 will force a propagation of ticket B to rank 2 when I change that plan.

Is there a way to stack rank the same tickets differently on a per-plan basis? Is plan not the right mechanism for this type of ranking? What can be done here?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hello @Michael Clausen 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The short answer is no. The built-in drag-and-drop feature for ranking issues is a global ranking. That cannot be used for per-plan or per-project ranking.

You would need to have issues that were per-plan rather than shared across plans to have plan-specific ranking.

Another option is to implement custom fields, one per plan, where you can manually provide a "prioritization" index that is used for just that one plan. I haven't actually tried that, so I don't know how well it would work. And, of course, if you have a lot of issues then manually managing such a field would be very tedious.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events