Lost All Data & Project after JIRA updated

Quoc Ngo February 15, 2021

Dear Support, 

I had restarted JIRA and it automatically updated to latest version.

After updated, it asked me to enter the licence when I tried to access the JIRA via url http://jira.eastgategroup.com.au/.

It look like that I have the new installation since I have to create new admin account.

All the data including users, projects and tasks are gone .

How can I get my data back? Can you please help?

Thanks,

Quoc  

3 answers

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi @Quoc Ngo ,

i'm guessing that you didn't change your dbconfig.xml file after you upgraded?

This gets overwriten/deleted with the upgrade (it's basically a uninstall/install). So you need to take your old dbconfig.xml file (which you can find in the archive that was created during the upgrade) and put that back or adapt the current one to link to your active database.

Unless you manually dropped the database with your old data everything should still be there.

Once you put the file back, just restart and it should all be back

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/startup-check-creating-and-editing-the-dbconfig-xml-file-881656915.html

Thanks Dirk for quick response. I am trying to find old dbconfig.xml file but couldn't find it.

Where s the archive? Can you please give me more details?

Thanks,

Quoc

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Well normally during the setup (at least on windows) the installer asks you whether you want to backup up your environment or not.

i do believe the Home Directory is backed up either way.

It should be an archive next to your JIRA Home directory.

On Linux I believe it will be on /var/atlassian/application-data/

On Windows Normally you should have a home directory set and the archive (zip file) should be also under Application Data

Otherwise you can very easily adapt the existing one using a text editor

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2021

Jira does not have an automatic update function.  A human has to run an upgrade, so I would go ask the person who did it to fix it, probably by restoring they backup they took as part of the process.

There is another thing that might have happened - you'll get "new setup" if your database completely fails.  This will only happen with the h2 database (that is only suitable for demo or test systems you don't mind losing).  If it is down to this, it's much the same as a failed upgrade - you'll need to get your admins to restore from a backup, and then plan a migration on to a supported database.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2021

Sjees how did I miss that one.. the restart and it updated part is indeed weird..

0 votes

Thanks Dirk for quick response. I am trying to find old dbconfig.xml file but couldn't find it.

Where s the archive? Can you please give me more details?

Thanks,

Quoc

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events