Looking for a simple way to trigger email alerts when a due date approaches or passes please.

Eric.Braverman June 2, 2020

Hi.  Can somebody please tell me how to set email alerts for approaching or passed due dates?  I have only seen suggestions for hacks from users and they require that I write code.  I'm just looking for a simple out of the box solution.  Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

Hi @Eric.Braverman 

Create a filter first based on due date like due <= -2d order (overdue).

Then create filter subscription to receive emails based on that filter.

Ravi

Eric.Braverman June 2, 2020

Hi Ravi, thanks for your response.  It is greatly appreciated but it is still a bit vague for me.  What are the step by step instructions for simply creating automatic custom alerts for pending or passed due dates for individual issues.  Thanks again.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

Hi @Eric.Braverman -- Welcome to the Atlassian community!

You originally asked for a simple, out-of-the-box solution to send notifications for approaching due dates, and Ravi has provided that.

It appears you are now asking for something more complex: custom alerts for individual issues.

If you indeed need something with custom emails rather than the list of due items, please consider learning about JIRA automation rules as that is included with JIRA and can do what you are asking.  Look here for some information:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

Best regards,

Bill

Eric.Braverman June 8, 2020

Hi, Thank you.  No.  I am still looking for the same simple way to set email notifications based on pending Due Dates.  I appreciate Ravi's reply but either I don't have the capabilities with my free account or Ravi assumed that I have a more advanced understanding of Jira than I actually do.  I've done the homework and tried to follow his instructions but they don't start from step 1 for me.  I can't find anywhere to enter the syntax that will actually accept what he gave me above... due <= -2d order (overdue) I keep getting errors when I try to enter it.  Thanks, Eric

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2020

Hi, @Eric.Braverman 

Here are some specific steps for what @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ suggested:

1) Navigate to Issues and Filters from your project

2) Select Advanced search

3)Enter a query, such as below. Substitute your project name for my_project.

project = my_project AND duedate <= -2d ORDER BY duedate ASC

4) Run the filter to confirm the results

5) Select Save as and name your filter

6) Next to the filter name, select Details, and New Subscription

7) Enter the schedule that you want to be notified, and save

Dheerendra Mishra August 24, 2021

Hi,

Worked, what would be the JQL if this is only required for open issues. I see that with the query provided closed issues are also appearing.

Regards,

Dheerendra

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2021

Hi @Dheerendra Mishra 

Please try adding a status category check to your query:

project = my_project
AND duedate <= -2d
AND statusCategory != Done
ORDER BY duedate ASC

Best regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD