Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Looking For Best Practice Suggestions - Multiple Teams With Completely Different Workflows

I have a new project request for our Marketing business area, and I am still in the early requirements phase.   There are 2 dev teams and one ops team.   

• Each dev team works completely different than the others as far as workflows, fields, how they use their current app (Monday).
  • Each dev team has a completely different intake form/process.
  • The ops team works as the "front end" taking all new intakes and sending them to the proper dev team board.

Caveats:

• Some issues need to be passed through ALL the dev teams and some don't

My initial thoughts:

• Give the ops team a JSM project.   This will give great forms (cascading/nested forms are a requirement, and JWM doesn't cut it).
  • I'm stuck at giving each dev team their own Jira Software project as one of them has a pretty standard workflow similar to some of our existing workflows BUT the other one has a completely crazy customized workflow.   I don't know that I could combine the two without the custom workflow team pushing back.   
  • The other option if above doesn't work is put both dev teams into one Jira Software project.   

Has anyone had a good experience taking multiple dev teams who work differently and moving them to a single Jira Software project?

Thanks in advance.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Work off (company managed) boards.  These make the project-level sgregation pretty much irrelevant.

Keeping it as simple as possible, let's say you have the obvious project model:

Dev 1 with the simple workflow(s)

Dev 2 with the crazy workflow(s)

Ops with a JSM portal 

Ops don't need a board in theory, but you could create one based on the filter "Project = Ops".

The trick for working cross-project with JSM projects is that your Ops Agents do not move issues into other projects, they create linked issues when something needs to go to a developer.  This maintains the Request : Customer communication link, and shields your developers from noise.

Now, the simple option is now to create two boards, based on "project = dev-1" and project = dev-2", but that won't help your people with cross-team stuff.

So, add something to the filters that allows you to cross-select.  Some people do it with labels, but for this one, I would reach for a multi-select list, containing options Dev-1-team and Dev-2-team.  Your filters can then become something like:

Project = Dev-1 OR (project = dev-2 and multi-select = Dev-2-team)

This could also work if you put both dev teams in a single project, although that could be "fun" with some issue types using the simple workflow and others using the crazy one.  I think I'd recommend two projects here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events