Looking For Best Practice Feedback -- How Do You Handle Duplicate Issues That Can't Be closed?

Gail June 30, 2022

Here is our case:

• A customer reports a bug to our customer service area, and they create a bug in SalesForce.   SalesForce pushes a bug to Jira via a Workato integration.
  • The tech bug escalations team begins work on the first bug; however, a couple days later other customers report the same bug in SalesForce.   This results in say 10 more bugs being generated to Jira.

The first bug will be triaged and worked on BUT the other 10 duplicates will not.   The caveat is we CANNOT mark the duplicate bugs resolved/closed as that gets pushed to SalesForce then to the customers.    Until the PARENT (first bug) is resolved -- those 10 duplicates must remain in an open state.

OUR THINKING:

• Link bugs
  • When parent bug resolved - use an automation to push closure to all the linked duplicates

How does everyone handle this type of situation?    Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Hi @Gail 

There is no one way to do it, but in my experience the easier the solution the better. The solution you have is actually the way I would recommend doing it too, or alternatively you could convert the other bugs to be subtasks of the first one.

The latter solution could be more beneficial from reporting standpoints as it's easier to track sub-tasks. I also believe there is a built in automation rule to close all subtasks

Best,
Clark

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

I agree with @Clark Everson I think you're on the right track but there are multiple ways to address it.

Like Gail likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events