List of Custom Fields not showing in JIRA 7.13

Ron Adkins January 7, 2019

We just upgraded from JIRA 7.6.0 to 7.13 and everything seems to be working well except the following:  When clicking on the Administration "Cog Wheel" then Issues, then Custom Fields, I expected to see a list of all of the Custom Fields that we created in 7.6.0.  However, I see nothing.  The list is blank (see photo below).  I've tried re-indexing and restarting the tomcat service, but no luck.

Custom Fields Blank.png

Is there some setting in 7.13 that needs applied for Administrators to see the list of Custom Fields this way?

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2019

Are you seeing the custom fields on the issues? If so, it might be a bug?

Ron Adkins January 7, 2019

Yes, I see the custom fields on both the view issue and the create issue screens.  This version has been out since November, so if it's a bug, I haven't found any other reference to it.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2019

Interesting. Do you have any plugins that might be causing this issue? Maybe you can try running on safe mode to quickly test?

Also, any javascript hacks gone wrong? I have seen that happening too.

Ron Adkins January 9, 2019

I've upgraded all of the plugins that we had working in 7.6.0 and disabled those that are not compatible with 7.13.  We do have some javascript embedded in the description of some of the fields, but those all worked fine in 7.6.0.

Ron Adkins January 9, 2019

Just tried running in safe mode and still not seeing the Custom Fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

Could you try the developer tools in your browser?  This can often show that custom javascript is the problem (it will "leak" in the source of the page).

It's another reason we recommend never using js Jira hacks.

Thomas Nelson January 23, 2019

I am having this same issue when trying to upgrade to 7.13.  Has a solution been found yet?

I can see my custom fields on screens and I can edit manually by typing URL in directly (http://jirastageserver/secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa?customFieldId=10093), but I cannot see the items on the Custom Fields page like mentioned above.  Which means I can't add any new ones.

I don't know much about the Developer Tools in Chrome, but this is showing up, but

Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
at eval (<anonymous>)
at batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:59
at Function.globalEval (batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:59)
at HTMLScriptElement.<anonymous> (batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:171)
at Function.each (batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:60)
at init.domManip (batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:170)
at init.append (batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:165)
at init.a.fn.(anonymous function) (https://jirastageserver/s/260ea55f4e7d1c1abde29f4c409df5b3-CDN/e735af/713000/8c016544ec71beaeef944c786614927e/534e8d91aaa06242c83b2c88ae9a3169/_/download/contextbatch/js/atl.admin,jira.global,jira.admin,-_super/batch.js?agile_global_admin_condition=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&locale=en-CA&nps-acknowledged=true&spectrum=true&whisper-enabled=true:334:1467)
at init.e.fn.(anonymous function) [as append] (https://jirastageserver/s/260ea55f4e7d1c1abde29f4c409df5b3-CDN/e735af/713000/8c016544ec71beaeef944c786614927e/534e8d91aaa06242c83b2c88ae9a3169/_/download/contextbatch/js/atl.admin,jira.global,jira.admin,-_super/batch.js?agile_global_admin_condition=true&healthcheck-resources=true&is-server-instance=true&is-system-admin=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&locale=en-CA&nps-acknowledged=true&spectrum=true&whisper-enabled=true:338:6662)
at init.<anonymous> (batch.js?locale=en-CA&spectrum=true:168)

but this was in my old instance as well where it did work. 

Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token

Thomas Nelson January 24, 2019

Fixed my issues above.   Apparently there was some Java script in the description field of one of the custom fields. (perhaps from a plugin)   My field was AA_Autoheader.   

To change it:  I got into admin mode and manually went to the url below and removed the description text.  Change the id of custom field and server location accordingly.  

https://jirastageserver/secure/admin/EditCustomField!default.jspa?id=12450

Like Keith Lawless likes this
Ron Adkins January 24, 2019

Thanks for your help everyone.  I too was able to fix this issue by removing all of the js we had embedded in the descriptions of the custom fields.  We have moved on to using ScriptRunner for any additional functionality required.

Keith Lawless February 28, 2019

I encountered a similar problem with 7.12.3 and some malformed JS in a description field. Using the direct URL per Thomas' post above allowed me to fix the problem. 

george Zheng March 11, 2019

how do you find the description field that contain JS, since I have tons of custom field

Peter Garncarek March 26, 2019

I have the exact same problem but going to the field directly does not show any formatting to remove.  So cannot solve this.  This problem is on upgraded Jira Service Desk instance that also has Admin Toolbox for Jira installed.  Do you happen to have the same?  I am thinking perhaps Admin Toolbox has caused this as it has filtered searches but it looks more like the functionality is broken in Custom Fields.  I tried everything I could think of to get it working but no luck.  Luckily this is only in my dev instance.

SMM April 20, 2019

Suggest an answer