Linking "Start" to a new status

Benjamin Hockenberry May 14, 2021

My workflow starts with a status I have named Prioritized. I have created another status called New and assigned it to the To Do category.

I would like New to be the first status in my workflow, then prioritized. However, I am unable to move the transition from Start to Prioritized to Start to New. When I try, I get this message: "Right now, you can't edit this transition. A newly created issue must start in the To do status category." This doesn't make sense because the status I am trying to start with is a To Do status category. Also, I did move the New column all the way to the left on the board in case this was the issue.

Also, when I select the Start to Prioritized transition so I can edit it, I am not able to make any changes. When I hover over the dropdown menu in Path, I get this tooltip: "New issues must start in the status category To do. This isn't editable yet."

When I try to delete the transition (so I can create a new one that maps to New), I get hover-over text that states: "You can't delete your first transition because new issues won't have a place to go."

How can I modify the workflow to suit my needs? Right now, the software seems to be inadequate for what I want to do, but I'm hoping it's just that I'm missing something.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hello @Benjamin Hockenberry 

Welcome to the community.

There are several posts in this community concerning the "A newly created issue must start in the To do status category" problem you are encountering. I'm trying to find them and see if they call out an issue in Atlassian's backlog about this problem.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021
Benjamin Hockenberry May 14, 2021

OK, thank you. I will look for a workaround until this is resolved.

0 votes
Sheena Reed May 18, 2021

I have had luck finding a workaround.

In my project I have 5 states:

<State>(Status Type)

Backlog (To Do)
New (To Do)
In Progress (In Progress)
QA Test (In Progress)
Closed (Done)

I want my tickets to start at "New" the default is "Backlog".

Steps I did:

1. Open Workflow Editor
  2. Renamed "New" to "New SpaceHold"
  3. Save & Close Workflow editor
  4.  Open Workflow Editor
  5. Renamed "Backlog" to "New"
  6. Save & Close Workflow Editor
  7. Open Workflow Editor
  8. Renamed "New SpaceHold" to "Backlog"
  9. Save & Close Editor

Now "New" is where the created tickets go in my workflow. Hope this helps you some.

Sheena Reed May 18, 2021

Note: If you already have issues in either of the categories, you'll most likely have to move them all, which is easier to do through bulk actions

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events