Link a Story to more than one Epic

Steve Massey December 15, 2014

The problem:

In the Agile Planning Board I cannot link a Story to multiple Epics using the drag and drop function, or by any other means for that matter.

The scenario:

There is a single back-end system that creates a product that is then distributed to multiple end-point systems for consumption by the "end-users". This means a single set of Stories to create the product then a separate story for distribution to each end-point as the solution may well be different.

The Epics are written from the "end-user" perspective to ensure the correct outcome-focused context. This means that the subset of the Stories, that deal with creating the product, are common to each Epic. I want to show that relationship on the Board but do not appear to be able to.

Any idea how i can do this?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
WeAreAllJustinNow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2015

Hi Steve,

It is not currently possible to link a story to multiple Epics.  I think the closest thing you could come to doing this would be to create duplicate stories and assign them to the relevant Epics.  This may be a better option for you anyway, as you can track each story's time individually in the event that the stories take more or less time to complete per Epic.  It would make reporting and tracking a lot more straight forward as well.

Just a suggestion.  Hope that helps.

Suggest an answer