Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Limiting Licenses for Marketplace Apps

So I recently picked up Zephry for my Jira Cloud of testing purposes. Not everyone on my team is testers and needs access, but after I installed Zephry it just applies a blanket you have X users with Zephry where X is my total user. How do I decrease the seats on my marketplace apps so that I can decrease my cost as not everyone needs it?

2 answers

1 vote

You cannot do this.  The licence for an app needs to be at (or higher than) the number of people for the main application.  It's global, you can't limit it to a set of users.  If you have X users in your Jira, you need to licence Zephyr for X users too.

(Jira has an added complexity in that it only looks at the largest of the three possible applications - if you've got 50 Jira Software users, 100 Core, and 5 Service Desk Agents, apps such as Zephyr only need to be licenced for the highest number - in my example, Zephyr would need 100 licences to match Core, not 155 for all possible users)

That seems a somewhat shady business practice. So I have 55 users, and 3 need Zephyr but I have to pay for 55? No known workaround. I suppose you could set up a separate account but then my QA people couldn't interface with the rest of the boards on the main account.

The argument is that your 55 users all have access to it, whether they use it or not, and most of them are using it - your developers might not be using it to run and record tests, but they're creating the issues you're testing against, and using its feedback to guide more work.

Personally, I don't think that's a good argument for some of the apps available, including Zephyr, especially as my 50/100/5 example is exactly that (it is valid for a lot of the apps in the marketplace though)

I do see it's hard to code for too - I remember having all sorts of licencing issues with apps when they were called plugins and allowed for variable user limits.

But I'm afraid we're stuck with it.

My problem is that my company is outsourcing some work. The outsourced team has a separate team board setup. They are the ones who need Zephry, while the main team which is much larger does not. I do still need to be able to move Jira tickets on occasion in between the main team's board and the out source team board though.

If they're working in the same system, then I'm sorry, but you're stuck, you'll need to licence apps at the full size of the user base.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

👁‍🗨 Confluence Team planning dashboard_Atlympics 🌈

Hi Atlassian's, How is your journey with #Atlympics 2021 so far....excited! Me too, same excitement. Here's my typical team planning and vision dashboard which I used to share to my management and ...

46 views 1 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you