Limit sprint points for scrum sprint

Adam Patterson August 3, 2017

I've search quite a bit and found nothing so I think I may be using the incorrect terminology.

We run JIRA (v7.3.3) and IRA Agile (v7.3.0-DAILY20170302150106) hosted on our servers. 

We successfully use JIRA but there is one major issue we have. There is a constant battle between business and development teams on sprint size/points available. I would like to set a number for a given sprint, 100 for example. They move stories from the backlog to the sprint. For example, 90 points and leave 10 unallocated for things that come up during the sprint. The problem is that more and more stuff gets moved into the sprint and we blow past the 100 mark every sprint. 

What I would like is, once that limit is set for a sprint, when business adds something to the sprint that push points over the limit, the lowest priority thing gets moved out of the sprint into the backlog so that they have a notification of the consequences. It seems like Kanban boards may have this feature, but I can't seem to find it on the scrum boards, which we are already invested in.

Is this, or something similar possible? I'm trying to find a technical solution to a problem where social engineering has repeatedly failed.

I did notice the following thread, but I think that is for newer versions of JIRA Cloud, as I don't have that Agile button they mentioned.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Software-questions/Setting-a-story-point-limit-for-a-Sprint/qaq-p/22977

Thank you 

(PS, sorry for the formatting here? I don't see a way to change font size on pasted text).

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2017

Hi Adam,

What you're trying to do would require some scripting but let me see if I can lead you in the right direction.  It appears you have a few needs:

1.  Limit the number of issues that can be added to a sprint
2.  Move the lowest ranking issue to the backlog

In regards to limiting the number of issues that can go into a Sprint, currently that isn't possible.  I would advise going to JAC and creating a Suggestion request to limit the number of issues that can be added to a sprint and add your use case to the comments.

The second part of your request is to move the lowest ranking issue to the backlog.  You can find the issues in the sprint in ascending order using the following rest call/endpoint:

/rest/api/2/search?jql=Sprint=1+order+by+rank+asc

You can test this in the browser with something such as:

http://localhost:8080/rest/api/2/search?jql=Sprint=1+order+by+rank+asc

In regards to moving the issue to the backlog the Move issues to backlog section of the JIRA Software Cloud REST API reference guide using a POST to the following end point:

/rest/agile/1.0/backlog/issue

That would come out to a cURL of:

curl -D- -u UN:PW -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" --data '{"issues":["ISSUE-KEY"]}' "http://localhost:8080/rest/agile/1.0/backlog/issue"

Hopefully that helps!

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer