• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Limit Users That Are Available in Issue Watcher User Picker

We have recently completed an install of JIRA 8.5.8 and this has been an issue since the install. I have searched forums and have seen that what we would like to do is not possible without a custom field, but I want to make certain before we do that.

We currently have about 30 users. We authenticate these users against our enterprise LDAP environment, which has approximately 60K users. When we configured LDAP in JIRA originally, all of these users were imported when we connected.

The problem we are seeing is that when you add a watcher to an issue and start typing a name, all results from our 60K LDAP show up. We would like to limit the names available in his drop down to ONLY the members of a group we define.

To reproduce this issue, go to an issue, click More, Watchers, then start typing a last name in the watcher list box. We want to limit the users that appear in the user picker to members of a group we define. 

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Nov 19, 2020

Trent unfortunately the only way to have those users not show up is to inactivate them.  I am assuming that you are not using service desk or anything like that were they would login.  You can set the LDAP connection to manage user status locally, then shutdown the service and inactivate them in the DB via SQL.  I think the SQL is something like this

update cwd_user set active=0 where user_name!='username';

You will need to update the query to include any of the usernames that need to remain active.  

0 votes
Answer accepted

My last experience with JIRA Server was v7.13, and I now work with JIRA Cloud instead.

Having said that, as I recall when setting up the integration for JIRA Server with LDAP you could use the Base DN field in the LDAP setting in JIRA to filter the users to be selected from the directory to users in a specific OU. Can you get the JIRA users into the same OU? It might be possible to set the Base DN to pick users that are all in a specific directory user group. I don't recall if we did actually did that, and I don't have any where I could do an experiment to see if that would work.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Announcing the waitlist for Jira Work Management

Hey there Cloud Community members! We’re excited to give you the first glimpse of the new home for business teams on Jira — Jira Work Management. Jira Work Management is the next generation of J...

132 views 3 7
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you