Licenses for JIRA Agile

Sachin Jhamb February 4, 2014

We have approx 2000 licenses for JIRA in our organization, now we intend to use JIRA Agile/ Green Hopper in the organization for a set of projects.

Is it possible to buy 100 licenses for JIRA Agile and have it integrated with JIRA (2000 licenses)?

I am ok to have 1st 100 users of Greehopper grab access to this plugin and as we exhaust capacity we can buy more later?

I ask this question because I have read following in one of FAQ on atlassian site:

"6. Do my JIRA and JIRA Agile and/or JIRA Capture licenses have to match?

Yes, JIRA Agile and JIRA Capture are global plugins for JIRA. If you are using JIRA Agile and/or JIRA Capture, the JIRA, JIRA Agile and JIRA Capture licenses must match the user count and type. For instance, a 25 User Commercial JIRA license will require a 25 User Commercial JIRA Agile license and a 25 User Commercial JIRA Capture license."

Is there any way we can go the way I have suggested?

Your early response will be much appreciated. We have JIRA version 5.2.5 in our organization at this point.

Best Regards

Sachin Jhamb

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2014

No. You've answered your own question by referring to point 6 in the FAQ.

You need 2000 Agile licences.

1 vote
Andre van der Elst February 26, 2014

Hopefully the license model will change not only for Jira Servicedesk but for add-ons in general. Because of todays sec.advisory I just tried to upgrade our (test) instance of Jira, and because of historical reasons our jira license is 'unlimited user', but our Agile license key is now '2000 users'. Since they don't match Jira Agile won't work anymore.

I've raised a support issue for this mismatching of user-licenses, I'm sure they'll help me with this.

But like most other commenters mentioned, this unwillingness to mix & match user licenses with add-ons and the main Jira license prevented us from buying (or even trying!) the following add-ons:

- everything from Tempo
- Jira servicedesk
- Folio for Jira (looks great, won't even try it because I know our management will not buy it)
- Suggestimate
- Agile card plugin (not sure of the exact name and marketplace is down, it's the one you can use to print agile cards on actual paper)

We also use Confluence, the same issues apply.

1 vote
Sachin Jhamb February 6, 2014

Thanks for response, but this is quite absurd in one way. If I want/ expect only 500 people to use GreenHopper in my organization, I still have to pay for 2000 licences essentially wasting cost of 1500 licences per year!

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014

Welcome to the Atlassian license model. Consider Jira Service Desk for external customers as well. If you potentially have 1 000 customer-users that you serve with your 10 people organization (or whatever number), you need a 1000 cal Jira and 1 000 cal Jira Service Desk license. And of course, 1 000 cal for Jira Agile as well (and any other plugins you use).

We ended up by having multiple virtual servers instead - way cheaper than buying 2 000 cal licenses for each of the 6 systems we are using.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2014

Ah, there's going to be changes for Service Desk.

Atlassian know they need to do something like "agent based licencing" (i.e. 10 Helldesk minions taking calls for 10,000 users - shouldn't need a 10,000 user licence, just 10 for the minions). But I don't know what shape it will be, or when it'll arrive (all I've got is "soon", which I'm taking to mean "summer". Hopefully sooner)

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2014

Hi Ivar, as you have stated -"We ended up by having multiple virtual servers instead - way cheaper than buying 2 000 cal licenses for each of the 6 systems we are using."

Can you elaborate more?

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2014

@Tarun; yes. We initially used the same Jira instance for both IT development and Helpdesk. Now, we use 5 (or 6?) different plugins. And with that setup we would have to upgrade all licenses from 100 cals to 1000 cals in order to start using Service Desk.

Instead we created a new Jira instance for Helpdesk on the same Jira server and bought the necessary licenses for that instance only, e.g. only Jira and Jira Service Desk. Saving us about 18 000 USD if I am not mistaken.

The two Jira's can "talk" together, so you can link a Helpdesk issue "into" the development instance. So we didn't loose important functionality and saved a bunch at the same time.

@Nic, sounds good. But with the rate of other "very important issues" (sub-issues on sub-issues (Jira), same pagename within the same space (Confluence)) and similar I wont hold my breath for it..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2014

The service desk licence issue is very much higher up the list than those issues - the Atlassian I was talking to last night was very clear that we should expect at the very least an announcement very soon (although I really don't know if it will be "announce now and confirm in next version" or "announce new SD release which supports it")

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

Some of those issues are closed @Nic, after 7 years or so... :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2014

I know. Some stuff gets closed because they finally decide it's not worth it. Other stuff remains open until they have re-designed something to enable it, or it becomes worth it.

If you want a real laugh, and an example of a long-standing issue, I think JRA-9 holds the record (it was about users having different timezones in their settings if I've got the number wrong). Version 1 to version 4.something-high!

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

Created 8 feb 02, resolved 7 June 11... wow

(https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9)

0 votes
Sachin Jhamb February 18, 2014

One things that can come to rescue is to start using JIRA on-demand - its atlassians cloud based solution, the annual fee is very minimal (relatively) and we get to pay up less.

So in my case, we are exploring to get my project out of enterprise installation, and buy an on demand license for ~ 100 users with JIRA Agile. It come out to ~$2000 - $3000 a year.

Must say worth exploring!!

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2014

but just keep in mind that lot of really awesome plugins don't work on ondemand.

0 votes
Ray Oei February 18, 2014

I agree with Sachin. Although I like Bonfire/Capture, the license model is the main reason I am not going to use it. That goes for more plugins, BTW. I do not understand why Atlassian is unwilling to provide a license model which is more tailored to specific needs. It is way to expenisive to buy plugins which are only going to be used by a couple of Jira users.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2014

There are lot of plugins out there (example: workflow extensions) whose pricing model is even more crazy and wierd.

Suggest an answer