Kanban and backlog don't work together well

Tim Riches March 9, 2021

A gripe about backlog to kanban workflow

The workflow from backlog to kanban seems super disconnected.  I find myself flicking between the two pages - going back to the backlog to add cards to a sprint. Why? Very odd. 

I don't understand why I have to go to the backlog page to add issues to a sprint in the board view.  Why not connect the two pages so can pick items from the backlog and add them as issues.  

I also don't get why I can't add any dates on tasks as I do in Trello and for that to feed through the 'roadmap'. 

Is there a secret manual Jira is hiding somewhere or are all the pieces just not joined up yet?

Tim

3 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

@Tim Riches 

Are you using a Next Gen or Classic project?

You talk about adding issues to sprints at the same time you are talking about kanban. Kanban doesn't use sprints. Kanban is a continuous flow of prioritized work.

Are you working with two different boards; one for Scrum (with sprints) and one for Kanban?

On the topic of Scrum boards and Sprints, the board view in Scrum typically shows only Active Sprints and only the issues in those sprints so that you can focus on the active work. Sprints are supposed to be planned (filled with issues) prior to the sprint being started. It should be rare to add more issues to a sprint that is already Active. In that regard, it makes perfect sense that adding an issue to a sprint requires you to view the backlog, where the entire backlog is visible, and that the board view shows only the issues that are already in the sprint. At least, it makes sense to me.

I don't use Trello nor the Roadmap function in JIRA so I can't speak to your concerns about that functionality.

0 votes
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 10, 2021

Hello @Tim Riches 

With Kanban, the Backlog column will not show on the Kanban board. It basically moves the "To Do" to the Backlog board for planning purposes similar to Scrum. You move items from backlog to selected for development and then when moved to in progress they disappear from the backlog and are solely shown on the kanban.

Regards

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

Hi @Tim Riches 

I am confused by what you are asking, as you note using both Kanban and Sprints (which are associated to Scrum use).

If you are using Kanban, you could disable backlog use and all of the "to do" items would be in the left-most column of your board, and so always in view.

If you are using Scrum, there is usually a "product backlog" separate from the "sprint backlog" (sprint contents), which Jira helps separate with two views.  The agile event of Sprint Planning is when a team would consider which items to include, and if you need a rapid way to change between views, please try the keyboard shortcuts: 1 key=backlog, 2 key=board, and 3 key=reports.

For your other ideas, please take a look at these related suggestions.  You may watch or vote for any of them.  And if you have another idea you may select the Create button to add it.

https://jira.atlassian.com/issues/?jql=project%20IN%20(JRACLOUD%2C%20JSWCLOUD)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20summary%20~%20Kanban%20AND%20summary%20~%20backlog%20ORDER%20BY%20Key

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events