Kanban Simple Workflow: reopened issues don't appear on board

Clinton Parham April 13, 2014

I have a Kanban board using the Simple Workflow. When a previously closed issue is reopened, it's not visible on the board. I realize this is because the board has a Work Sub-Filter: "fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY".

How can I clear the fixVersion?

thanks.

2 answers

2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2014

Hi Clinton,

sorry for the misunderstanding. In order to do that install "JIRA Suite Utilities" plugin that provides Clear Field Value post function.

Add this post function to your own workflow (on reopen transition) and it should work.

More information about this post function are available here

https://jsutil.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Post-Functions

Hope this helps,

Fabio

tomc January 29, 2015

I am trying to do exactly the same thing as Clinton.

1. I have simple workflow
  2. I want the reopen action to clear fixversion, so that the issue is back at Kanban Board

I assume step 2. cannot be done with using Simple workflow. Since the answer guides to modify the workflow.

Best Regards,

Tom 

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2014

Hi Clinton,

Reopen transition should already purge Resolution. In order to verify it please check that "Reopen" transition has a post function "The resolution of the issue will be cleared". If it doesn't exist please add it and publish your workflow.

Regards,

Fabio

Clinton Parham April 13, 2014

Hi Fabio,

It's not "Resolution" that's the problem here. It's that "fixVersion" needs to be cleared.

Thanks.

Amrita Nair May 24, 2018

Hi, 

I am facing the same problem. Did you get this resolved? The team reopened a ticket that was released and it doesn't show up on the kanban board. The 'fixversion' field displays the release name. There's no option to remove the issue from the release nor removing the release name from the ticket :( . Please advise.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2018

@Amrita Nair, we need more info here. What status is it reopened into? Can you share your board's filter? can you provide a screenshot of the column config (Board settings > Columns)?

Amrita Nair May 25, 2018

Hi @Jack Brickey Please find screenshots attached. I tried removing the fixversion from the ticket but I don't find any option to edit the field. Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

@Amrita Nair, there are several possible reasons for issues not showing when reopened:

• it is reopened into one of the "Unmapped" statuses, e.g. assumption, dependency, etc.
  • the board filter excludes issues that have a resolution other than none and you are not clearing out the Resolution code as part of the reopen transition (post function on transition)
  • there sub-filter is excluding released issues and the reopened issue is still showing as released. Note your current sub-filter - fixVersion in unreleaseVersions() or fixVersion is Empty. So if the reopened issue is in "releasedversions() or not Empty then it won't show.
Amrita Nair May 25, 2018

Thank you @Jack Brickey. Unfortunately changing the project filters could possibly affect the board and the volume of tickets in there. Is there a way where we can remove the Fix version from the ticket/mark it as empty while reopening? When i try the edit option/reopen option, I do not see the 'fix version' field there nor is it editable from the view.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

yes certainly. but first i would check to see if that is the issue before adding a post function. so...

FIRST: let's verify if we can find the reopened issues using JQL.

1. go to Search issues and enter this filter in Advanced search - project = abc and fixVersion in releasedVersions() and status not in (closed, complete, deferred, resolved). You will need to change the abc to match your project key. 
  2. Do the reopened issues show in the result? If so what status are they in? Also in the "Columns" list add "Fix Version" and tell me what you see. If this does not display the issues that are reopened/hidden then I suspect that are not "released" and consequently that isn't your problem.
  3. Assuming you have a list of issues reopened then open one in the view mode.
  4. Do you see Fix Versions field on the screen? If so please remove the fix version. If not go to Admin dropdown and select Add Field and add the Fix version and then remove the release.
  5. check board to see if this issue now displays.

please report back...

BTW, you should not be afraid of changing board filters since, as long as you keep a snapshot of the filters, they it is simple to revert back. However, you can easily create another board and set it up the exact same, play with it until you get it right and then either delete the old board replacing w/ the new or copy over the changes from the new to the old. Common evolution method for board development.

Amrita Nair May 25, 2018

@Jack Brickey

1. I can see 2 issues

2. Status : Reopened (screenshot) 

Capture4.PNG2. In the column list,  Is this how you meant to add a column? If yes, what status should I map here?Please advise.

Capture5.PNG3 & 4. In view mode i can see the fix version, however it is not editable. Tried editing using the edit option as well. The field does not appear in the edit mode.

Capture6.PNG

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

Amrita, ok so you are getting off track a bit. First remove the column "Fix Version" in your board. You don't want that. What I was trying to convey was simply to display the Fix version field in the columns on the Search issues view not the board view. But you have shown

if you cannot edit the fix version then it may be that you do not have resolve issue permissions. please check on this. project > Settings > Permissions and check Resolve Issues to ensure you fall into one of the groups allowed to do this. BTW, I assume you have system and or project administration permissions? I see you are redacting the Fix Versions in your screen shot and not sure why. I assume these are simply numbers like 1.4, 1.5, etc.

One other thing, in looking at your column config under the To Do column it shows that there are 2 issues in the reopened status. Are you absolutely sure they don't show? The fact that you have 150 issues in To Do is a bit overwhelming and would be a challenge to find anything in a list that big. I recommend creating a quick filter in the board - status = reopened so that all but the reopened are hidden when that QF is selected.

Ultimately I think what you are going to want to do is to add a post function to the 'reopen' transition on any all workflows. In that post function you are going to want to  clear the fix version field. I was just trying to have you manually do this on one of the reopened issues to see if the issue then displays. However, if you want you can simply go straight to the post function and give it a try. Note that this will NOT address those already in the Reopened status obviously so you need to be able to edit FV manually so work toward that.

Suggest an answer