Kanban + Scrum

Haim Paperman March 18, 2019

Hi, I'm new to Jira and I'm trying to get it to work for our workflow.

Suppose we have a project to develop an app.

The three main components of the project are:

• server setup
  • back-end functionalities
  • front end functionalities

Each one of these three can be broken down into dozens of sprints with dozens of issues one each sprint.

I would like to have a Kanban board for my three main components.

I would also like to have the many sprints for each component.

Ultimately what I'm driving at is that the overall progress of the main components that I have in the Kanban is tracked and depends on the sprints that directly correlate to the component.

So for example, if for front end functionalities we have sprints for:

• Wireframes
  • Design

and each one of these sprints has 50 issues (for a total of 100 issues), I would like the main Kanban board with the front end functionalities to be updated every time an issue in the sprint gets updated.

Hope I'm making sense!

Thanks for trying to help me out.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2019

@Haim Paperman , here is what I suggest but you can tweak to meet your needs:

• I would probably go w/ a single project for the entire app.
  • I would use Components field for your three components as mentioned
  • I would either create a new field of type Select that would be required at issue creation for your 'categories', e.g. wireframes, design, etc. or I would use labels if the list was dynamic. I'm not a huge fan of using labels here as mispellings, capitalization, etc. can mess things up.
  • Create a Kanban board to monitor progress of all (or parts) of your app. This will included all components. So the jql is something like - project = myproject
  • Create Scrum boards for each of the Components or rather a board per team. That is if one team is working on two components a single scrum would work.

Your Kanban would be a 'read only' view in that you just want it to display which issues are: selected for dev, in progress, done. So you might wish to restrict who has access to this board.

Suggest an answer