KANBAN Release stats not making sense

Marc Malan January 17, 2018

Good day, I would like to find out how to interpret the stats of a KANABAN release after it has been released, it gives you issues which are in TO DO, IN PROGRESS and DONE. As far as I can pickup it only releases the issues which are in done which means TO DO and IN PROGRESS will always = 0. If I allocate issues to a version/release and then i realease that version all issues on the board are released and then are not available on the board anymore. This is nice because then they show up in the stats but then I saw that they disappear from the board which means we cant work on them anymore. How does one allow the stats to show all issues on the board but then leave all of the issues which are not in the done status to remain on the board. 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2018

Kanban boards have an addition subfilter JQL that you can add to it. See Configuring Filters: (Kanban only) Adding a sub-filter for more details. This subfilter is used to limit which issues appear on the board itself.   This is helpful because the issues themselves can still be shown in the related reports for that board, but not necessarily still appear on that board.

This happens because by default a Kanban board has a subfilter value of

fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

This means that only issues matching the subfilter will appear on the board.  Hence that JQL in the subfilter is set to hide/remove any issues that have any value for fixVersion or any issues whose fixVersion is an unreleased version won't appear on that board.  By default when you click that release link on the board, all the issues in the done state at that time end up with a specific fixVersion value that correspond to that release and in turn they are removed from that board (because of the subfilter).

However it is still possible that after that release is complete, those issues could be transitioned back to a different state other than Done.  That is one way the issues could have a different status other than Done AND still not appear on the board (because the fixVersion field has some value still and is not empty/null).

Suggest an answer