Jira will not start

Strong Data July 25, 2017

Jira will not start. getting these errors:

2017-07-25 10:42:13,120 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.startup.ComponentContainerLauncher] An Error occurred during ComponentContainerLauncher servlet context initialisation - Truncated class file.

2017-07-25 10:42:13,120 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR      [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Unable to start JIRA.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

That error usually means that a file (specifically a class file) is corrupted.  You may have more than one.

You could try things like attaching debuggers to the Tomcat to trace down which one, but I've only really got two fixes for corrupted class files are:

1.  Stop JIRA, clear the Tomcat cache, and restart

2.  Re-install it

I'm sorry but where would I find the Tomcat cache? It's Installed on a windows 2012 server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

It's usually in <jira install>work/Catalina/localhost

To clear it, you should delete all the files in there.  Make sure you do NOT delete the directory though, that will make it fall over again.

There is one folder in there called "ROOT" with nothing inside of it.

I stop JIRA, delete that "ROOT" folder, start JIRA, it recreates that empty "ROOT" folder again but I'm still getting that error.

If I Re-install it would I lose all the data that was entered?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

Yes, a clean install will drop all the data.  But, I assume you've got backups, so you could do a clean install and then import your data?

Have a look in <jira-data>/exports - if you have not disabled the regular backups, then you can take the latest export in there and import it after you've built a clean ssytem.

Yeah there is one there from yesterday. So do these files have all the issues, users, settings, etc.?

Is there any documentation that you can direct me towards on how to do this? I've never done it before.

Thanks so much for your help by the way.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

They have nearly everything, it depends a bit on the config.

If you are using external user management (LDAP, Crowd etc), then those backups will only contain bits of the user data - you will want to reconnect the external directory after restoring.  But the backups will contain the directory connection settings, so it should be done as part of restoring.

The one thing that is not in the backup is the attachments.  That's just a matter of keeping a copy of <jira home>/attachments - there's no import/export, you can just copy it.

I made a copy of the entire Atlassian folder in program files just to be safe. So should I just uninstall JIRA and then reinstall it?

We haven't used any attachments so I'm not worried about that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

When you say "atlassian folder" - do you mean the installation of JIRA and the data?  They are separate directories (albeit you might have them under /somewhere/atlassian)

I made a copy of "c:\program files\atlassian\" which inside of that folder is "JIRA" and "Application Data". When I orginally installed it I didn't change any folder destination details so I asume this is the default directory. I can't find any other folders anywhere else.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

Perfect, yes, those are the windows defaults.  You have a copy of everything :-)

So, yes, uninstall and re-install is the next step.

Actually it's fixed now. I don't know if it was the right way to do it or not, but I re-ran the "atlassian-jira-core-7.3.8-x64.exe" install file and chose the upgrade option. I guess it backed up the files and reinstalled them. When it finished and it started the service again it worked and all of the data was still there.

Thanks so much for your help Nic!

0 votes
Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

Hey Jeff - what are you doing? Is this a freshly installed JIRA? Did you change something? Have you tried reinstalling JIRA if it is a fresh installation? Looks like some sources are broken...

Cheers

Christoph

Sorry I should have been more descriptive. This is an existing install of JIRA and we have been using it for a couple of months now.  I came to work this morrninig and I was getting a 503 error when I tried to access our JIRA thats installed on a Windows 2012 server. I stopped and started the service and I'm getting these errors all the time now.

Suggest an answer