Jira traffic distribution with Kubernetes ingress?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2022

Hi community!

I want to send all traffic to /jira/rest to a specific Jira node/ pod. I succeeded but when I login onto the UI and navigate to another page within Jira I am logged out again. I assume it is realted because of the following:

This related articles mentions:

Configure the load balancer to only direct REST API traffic with the following conditions:
- Referred externally from the application
- Not requesting the login page

I did not configure those conditions yet. Does anyone know how to do it in an nginx ingress rule?

1 answer

0 votes
Yevhen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2022

I am in no way an expert in Jira but I guess if I had to solve such a problem with Nginx ingress controller I'd:

* create a new service which uses a unique label (pods in the statefulset will have it)

* add another path to your spec.rules.http.paths and use your new service as a backend

Also there's a general requirement to make sure you have session affinity (sticky cookies) enabled for your ingress.

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2022

Thanks for your answer.

What you describe is exactly what I did and session affinity is also configured.

The routing for /jira/rest works. It always goes to my jira-0 pod. But it causes issues in the UI. Probably because I did not set the 2 conditions.

As a workaround we will use a dedicated hostname for the API.

Suggest an answer