Jira query to know when the description of a jira task has been updated ?

sudakshina ghosh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2024

Hi

I need to know the jira query when the description field of a jira task has been updated

3 answers

1 vote
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2024

Hi @sudakshina ghosh 

JQL supports only six fields when it comes to history searches: Assignee, Fix Version, Priority, Reporter, Resolution, and Status. Description is not available.

If you need to see description changes, who updated it, and when, I can suggest Issue History for Jira app developed by my team. It records all updates made to any standard or custom issue field. How to get history for the specific issue field in Jira

Description changes:

description history of changes.jpg

It's possible to get this report for any issue field.

Also, the app allows you to roll back the changes made to the description.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2024

Hi Sudakshina - welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The Description field is not available to use in JQL for determining updates. But you can do this a couple of ways. 

1. Create an automation rule to email you when the field changes. 

2. Create a custom date field that is hidden from the screen, then create an automation rule that populates the field with {{now}} when the Description field is updated. (This would be using a Field Value Changed trigger for the rule). 

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2024

Hi @sudakshina ghosh 

Welcome to the Community!

You can explore issues based on a change history criterion for some fields using the CHANGED operator in JQL, it does not support all fields, including the summary field. The CHANGED operator is typically used for fields like status, assignee, etc.

If you use it you'd get "History searches do not support the 'description' field."

So, you'll need to search for an app in which you can create a custom field that will store the date of change in the description field.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events