Jira migration from ES, IT server to DE data center

Ritam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

Hello All, we are working with a client who wants to migrate its jira server from various locations ES, CZ, IT to DE data center. The number of users in different locations varies from 200 to 2000. My skill set does not collide with jira so I am unaware of this type of migration, how it works and therefore need some help. 

Do you think this migration is possible and how, if yes? Which points we need to take care of during this migration and what other information will be required from client? Will the projects and other data have same structure in data center after migration? Will pricing be more as existing data center is being used? Any importance of different locations in migration?

Any help or pointers will be great. Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2024

Well, of course you can do it, but while I understand this won't be good news nor exactly what you're after, it's unlikely you would find a good approach without causing more than ideal downtime, licensing issues or problems that would take days to solve, if you're not savvy enough with the app and migration process in general. There are too many pre-migration checklists to go through, from versions to plugins to user directories to configurations in all the Jiras, groups, integrations (if any), other automations (jenkins etc), and so and so. Now those instances may vary in complexity, but everything should be checked in general.

I know you might want to give it a shot, but I would urge to look for a person experienced enough to plan and drive the whole activity. Those local instances I would assume have their own local admins, who might know a thing or two (but then again, they might not, considering the fact they're still on server / instance size).

It's not quite something that can be discussed in good enough detail in a thread like this, imo. You just need someone competent to drive it who knows what to do and how, as much of an optimist I am, I don't think anyone without a decent amount of experience and knowledge of Jira can do that in any reasonable time and without breaking stuff.

This would be a good start to read about how it works: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/consolidating-multiple-jira-instances-1167739625.html

Having said that, server and data center are basically the same "structure"-wise from user perspective. There are more technical differences to it of course, but from user perspective, they ideally should not really notice whether they are on server or data center, it's more of how stuff works on the backend side of things, load balancing, cluster synchronization, that sort of thing, the UI otherwise looks and works the same way for users.

Suggest an answer