Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Jira is very slow

Hi, We have installed jira in AWS windows EC2 server where sql data base is in the same instance .  Its of i3.Xlarge 32 gb ram windows 2019 server. Its dedicated for jira alone. 

We are facing jira slowness all over the site in our jira. esp during search issues and create issues . Its taking a minute or so to complete creating new jira issue ticket. 

Below is the  JVM statistics. Please advice what is optimal memory do i need to set?

We have only 2 main projects and one demo project. 

I really need to fix this. We have another jira server running in another VM which is working completely fine where we have 10+ project and JVM is lesser than this. 

Can you please help us? I have created support zip from jira for your reference.

Java VM Memory Statistics
Total Memory 1957 MB
Free Memory 911 MB
Used Memory 1046 MB
Memory Graph

47% Free (Total: 1957 MB) (Force garbage collection)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pavel Junek Community Leader Jul 14, 2021

Hi Basker,

It is usually recommended to set the minimum and maximum values for the JVM memory the same. Set both values to no more than half of the total RAM.

You have unnecessarily much RAM memory, I would say for the whole server :)

I can recommend the following documentation:

In your case (3 Jira projects and total RAM) the setting should be enough: JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY= 4096 and JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY= 4096.

But this setting alone may not guarantee that Jira will be faster - the problem may be elsewhere:

Pavel

@Pavel Junek Thanks let me change the JVM and to the value you said and restart the vm

@Pavel Junek This is file where I need to set values right?

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Jira\bin\setenv.bat

Existing Value

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=384m
set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=3048m

New Values

set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=4096      or  set JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=4096m
set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=4096      or set JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=4096m  

Pavel Junek Community Leader Jul 14, 2021

Hi @Basker Ganesan,

You will only use the file setenv.bat, if you are running Jira with this file.
Because you use Windows Server, do you run Jira as a Service?

Otherwise you would have to modify the service - Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

@Pavel Junek I am running jira as a windows service

Pavel Junek Community Leader Jul 15, 2021

Yeah, great.

In this case, you do not need to edit the service.bat file, but you must perform a step Window Service from Increasing JIRA application memory (Setting properties for Windows services via command line).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

⏰ Day in the life of a Jira Admin!

Hello Community! We thoroughly enjoyed this just-for-fun conversation in the Jira Admin Group about what it's like to be a Jira Admin. For #JiraJuly, our talented designers created these graphics t...

710 views 2 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you