Jira installation migration

Roberto Silvestri January 8, 2018

Hi,

We need to migrate our initial installation that is located in our on-premise server into another machine suitable to manage Jira as production

Can you please:

suggest me a suitable hardware configuration ?

Explain how to migrate the data into a server database (eg. mysql) ?

Suggest me a best practice to perform backup/restore ?

Thanks,

Roberto

4 answers

1 vote
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

Hey Roberto,

MySQL drivers can sometimes be source of some debugging so I'd definitely recommend a free an flexible solution, the most common I've seen and the one I use every time is PostgreSQL, it's also portable so definitely the best option in my opinion if your company does not have a preference :)

Hope this helps!

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2018

+1 for Alexey's link of Migrating JIRA applications to another server

but I would also like to add some other documentation to address your other questions:

Could you please tell us what version of Jira you are using now, and what version you want to upgrade to?  Depending on the versions there might be additional steps needed to make sure you can upgrade all your data properly.

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2018
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

In addition to Alexey's answer, if you're not very familiar with migrtion you might also contact a Partner to help you during that process.

That being said, if you're targeting a blank new environment it's generally not that complex.

Good luck!

0 votes
Roberto Silvestri January 9, 2018

Hi,

Thanks for your answers, can you please suggest me the best database server is to be used...mysql or mariadb ? something else ?

thanks,

Roberto

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2018

MariaDB is explicitly not supported for Jira.  You can find this detail in the Supported Platforms documentation.

You can use MySQL if you prefer, but I would tend to agree with Micky's comment in regards to database drivers.   The problem tends to be that Atlassian installations can not currently bundle the mysql database driver when you do installations/upgrades for MySQL due to licensing concerns.   However we don't have this same problem with other supported database types.  

You are welcome to use MySQL, but I would recommend updating your mysql jdbc driver when you upgrade Jira each time. 

In general, I tend to recommend that Jira installations use a supported version of Postgresql.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2018

+1 here, thanks for adding some context on the licensing issue with MySQL, didn't want to talk in Atlassian's name, I even do think that it's mentioned in the Database Connection KB in the official documentation :)

Ok, thanks for your replies...

Another question is what about the security can you suggest some OS issues that we need to take into account ?

Roberto

Sorry another question is about the OS platform, can you suggest me the suitable Linux distro to use ?

thanks,

Roberto

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

Use a well supported and well-known one.  We tend to find most people run Production on RedHat because you can get support for it, and then CentOS for dev/test. 

Nothing wrong with using CentOS for production though, and we regularly run into Ubuntu and Debian based Atlassian systems.  I know of a couple of Arch and Gentoo systems in use as well.

Suggest an answer