Jira filter column search will not display all search results for field "Status"

Duane Cronkite August 31, 2017

My business has alot of custom fields with status is the name. When trying to add status to a filter column the search will say "27 more options. Continue typing to refine further." That doesn't help when we are searching for the jira standard field "Status".

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Héctor López April 23, 2021

Indeed, it is a very bad experience.

Ideally, Atlassian could implement an allow to use REGEX expressions, so this issue will be gone automatically.

Besides, a tested workaround you could use is to remove some of the HTML option elements loaded in your browser (inspecting the HTML code) that has the name you want so you just shortlist it till the point you show it in the UI.

All the elements are placed within the select with "id=filter-column-sparkler"

image.png

Hope it helps.

Héctor

1 vote
Puneet Sharma September 30, 2020

I am stuck too and came looking for an answer here, but seems there is no straight one (or possible none). I have worked a way around this by using a public query/filter which has a status field selected in it. I don't know how they managed it, but I simply tweak that existing query with my filters and make sure I DO NOT uncheck the status field. So far this has worked, but it is a big pain to have this done every JIRA project.

In an ideal world I should get all results when I search for keyword, irrespective of how many they are, just let me scroll to the very end and choose it. How difficult is that?

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

Hey Duane,

When you are entering your query, you should just be able to type "status =" or "status in" and continue with the status you want to search for from there.

JIRA should detect that you're looking for the native status field.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Hello Tyler,

In this instance I am talking about adding a column for status and the the column search won't display all the search results to display Status as an option.

Thanks

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2017

Apologies for the confusion.  Is there any way you could remove some of the custome fields or rename them?

You could also try hitting "Restore Defaults" under the search bar.  That will (I believe) bring back the Status column.

Tyler

Unfortunately all custom fields are in use and the restore defaults does not bring it back.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2017

If "restore defaults" does not get it back, then your administrators have changed the defaults.  You should get them to add the status proper back to the defaults.

I'm afraid that's one of the only two option now, recent UI changes have broken the work-around.  The other option is to address your "fielditis", as Tyler suggested - 27 status is probably around 20 too many.

Duane Cronkite September 1, 2017

Is there documentation on how to change the defaults on admin side? I have admin privleges but this issue still appears when searching under "system defaults" columns.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2017

Not sure there's a doc, but it's pretty much the same place.

When you log in as an admin, go to the three tabs (My defaults, filter, system), and click system, then a "restore defaults" will appear for that (along with a warning that you may affect all users).  That will reset the system defaults completely.

Groot July 24, 2020

Simple fix:  Show the items that "start with" the letters I type at the top!   Eg. It makes no sense to show 40 items that merely "contain" Status before the ones that start with status - like the word Status itself.  Its very frustrating- there's nothing more I can type.  I typed the whole word.  Hello?  

Like # people like this
Anna Luebbert August 6, 2020

I'm having the same issue. This is a terrible search experience. 

Like Gil Groman likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2020

It is, but only for people who have broken processes that lead to a  perceived "need" for more than one stauts field.

Why have you got 40 fields with "status" in their names?

William Wilson August 12, 2021

"It is, but only for people who have broken processes that lead to a  perceived "need" for more than one status field."

No. It also impacts people who want to include "Relates to" and "Mentioned in" in the list view of their search results, and can't.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

Why have you got 40 fields with "relates to" in their name?  Or 40 fields for "mentioned in"?  That sounds just as broken as too many status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

Yes, you've completely missed the point of the discussion, and you're asking about something unrelated.

The problem discussed here is nothing to do with your searching, it is "when I've got too many fields (named status), I can not find those fields to add to the list of columns to display in the issue navigator"

That's why I asked why you had 40 fields with similar names - that's what the question was about, not your searching.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question