Jira emails commenting on a ticket in the wrong project

Chris A May 1, 2023

Hi Atlassian Community!

I am looking into a very strange issue.  Emails that should be arriving in the Jira IT Service Desk, are not going to the intended Project.  They are commenting on an existing ticket on a separate Jira Client Service Desk (eg: Ticket CS-9876).  This issue occurs sporadically (once every few months).  More details below.

Intended workflow:

1. User sends email to helpdesk@email.com
  2. Email gets created as a ticket within Jira IT Service Desk (eg: IT-1234)

Issue workflow (occurs sporadically – once every few months)

1. User sends email to helpdesk@email.com
  2. Email links to an existing ticket as a comment.  It links within a separate Jira Client Service Desk - not the intended IT Service Desk.
    It always links to the same ticket (eg: CS-9876)
    Email DOES NOT arrive in the JIRA HelpDesk Service Desk

We are not sure why some tickets that should arrive as a new ticket creation in Jira ‘IT Service Desk’, are commenting on an existing ticket within a different Project entirely (Jira Client Service Desk CS-9876).

It is important to note that the helpdesk@email.com email address only links to the IT Service Desk.  It does not link to Client Service Desk in any way.  The Client Service Desk is set up with a different email entirely.

I have checked:

• Email integrations of all projects to ensure helpdesk@email.com isn’t linking anywhere else
  • Outlook mailbox rules to ensure there is no forwarding
  • Jira automation rules to ensure nothing is interfering
  • Tried re-naming the ticket, however tickets are still linking to it

My next option would be to delete this ticket entirely (CS-9876), however I’d like to know if anyone has experienced these issues/have a resolution before I default to deleting the ticket.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Jira email handlers will look at the subject line of an email, and if they find an issue key, assume the email is intended as an update to that issue.

Check the headers of the emails people are sending when this happens, I suspect you'll find an issue key in them.

Chris A May 2, 2023

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your response, however I have previously checked this.

There is nothing in the email header/subject/body that would suggest linking to the ticket.

Regards,

Chris

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events