Jira does not start. . . "Unexpected exception during JIRA startup"

BAMartelly December 8, 2017

To replicate error, visit: http://ec2-34-232-48-211.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8080/secure/errors.jsp

You'll see this error: Unexpected exception during JIRA startup. This JIRA instance will not be able to recover. Please check the logs for details

Can I please get assistance . . . below the logs

See this link for the logs of localhost.2017-12-08.log: 

See this link for the logs of catalina.2017-12-08.log 

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes

I am now running what I believe is the correct Java version and unfortunately I am still getting the same error.

You can visit the jira instance here to see the error: 

http://ec2-34-201-47-136.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8080/

$java -version

java version "1.8.0_151"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

$echo JAVA_HOME

/usr/java/jdk1.8.0_151/jre

I can't really see anything in the logs:

catalina.2017-12-09.log

That log has some error about threadlocal . . .could this be it? other than that nothing jumped out

All of the below were empty:

host-manager.2017-12-09.log

localhost.2017-12-09.log

manager.2017-12-09.log

I'd greatly appreciate your continued help to get back into my jira instance . .. I'm very motivated as we have a huge project in there :) Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2017

The error you get in the browser doesn't tell us much, but it does tell us that Jira has tried to start up and run.  In fact, it is running, because it's able to deliver that page!  Albeit it's not running enough of itself to do anything else.

There will be details of where it has fallen over in the application log.  Look in <jira home>/logs - atlassian-jira.log is usually the most important one to read.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2017

Alex,

I'm not able to see the error now that Nic was seeing earlier on your site, but his suggestion to check the Jira Application Server Logs is your best bet.

Especially if you are to stop Jira, and start it again, you can follow along in that log file and it will let you know the exact error for why your Jira instance is now not loading.

Please feel free to let us know what you find and if you have any trouble, we can help you.

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2017

OpenJDK is not suitable for running Jira.  It does work for some versions, but it's not suported and doesn't work in most combinations.

Swap to using the Oracle (Sun) version of Java and try again.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2017

Hi Alex,

Could you let us know what database version you are running as well as the results of the following from your server:

java -version
echo $JAVA_HOME

Thank you! There are many things that can cause the error you were seeing, but if you also happen to find any further errors in your logs please let us know.

Lastly, please also confirm, is this a fresh Jira install or an upgrade? What version are you running?

Regards,

Shannon

Thanks . . . using psql (PostgreSQL) 9.5.4

for java -version, the result is:

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (amzn-2.6.9.0.71.amzn1-x86_64 u131-b00)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.131-b00, mixed mode)

for echo $JAVA_HOME

/usr/lib/jvm/jre

EDIT: I haven't deliberately updated Jira . . .but I might have inadvertently updated.  In any case, my Jira version is 7.3.5

thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2017

Hi Alex,

It seems you're using OpenJDK which is not supported.

You will want to install Oracle JDK 1.8 and use that according to our Supported Platforms.

Can you try that and see if you are able to start Jira?

Regards,

Shannon

thanks I'll try that

I'm having trouble finding the correct java version . . .is this version compatible?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk9-downloads-3848520.html

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2017

Probably not, but it depends, check the link Shannon gave, it'll take you to the list of supported platforms.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2017

Hi Alex,

You'll want 1.8 so you can start here:

Java SE Development Kit 8 Downloads

Let us know if you have trouble.

Regards,

Shannon

Great thanks guys will try that

Suggest an answer